• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Console woodgrain clips

t.flatt

Local time
7:07 AM
Reaction score
I'm trying to get these clips off that hold on the woodgrain panels on the console for a '70 GTX. I'd like to cut them off so I don't break a stud. I can't find any reproductions. Does anyone know where to find these? Or a way to get them off? Thanks for any help!!

20221007_165308.jpg

20221007_165342.jpg

I'm trying to get these clips off that hold on the woodgrain panels on the console for a '70 GTX. I'd like to cut them off so I don't break a stud. I can't find any reproductions. Does anyone know where to find these? Or a way to get them off? Thanks for any help!!

View attachment 1354768

View attachment 1354769I used needle nosed pliers kept pulling gently while turning it as if it were a nut.

Have you tried carefully poking under one side with a sharp pointed screwdriver - or a pick?

Just enough to release the tension so as to allow the clip some movement.

Work away at it slowly - those are spring steel and will break if you bend the tabs too much.

Have you tried carefully poking under one side with a sharp pointed screwdriver - or a pick?

Just enough to release the tension so as to allow the clip some movement.

Work away at it slowly - those are spring steel and will break if you bend the tabs too much.
Yeah, I've been poking at them with a pick. I feel like I'm close to breaking off a stud, though. I want to get this piece re-chromed so the woodgrain has to come off.

Yeah, I've been poking at them with a pick. I feel like I'm close to breaking off a stud, though. I want to get this piece re-chromed so the woodgrain has to come off.
You can buy round spring clips - I know it's not original, but how many people would go looking to check it out?

You can buy round spring clips - I know it's not original, but how many people would go looking to check it out?
Yeah, I'd bet my car no one can get their head inside my console to se how I attached those! Ha ha!!

Yeah, I'd bet my car no one can get their head inside my console to se how I attached those! Ha ha!!
Believe me....sometimes you can go too far 'restoring' a car. There are areas where you can use alternate methods and products where no-one will ever know the difference.

No need to be buying a NOS item that will never be seen where an alternate product does the same job and will never be noticed. :thumbsup:

Yes, I'm hoping to find some clips like you showed at the hardware store. Those clips are going to be buried deep for sure!

Problem solved! I found the black pieces at the hardware store but I was able to get the original ones off with this pick. It takes a few goes at it sometimes!

20221010_211048.jpg

Believe me....sometimes you can go too far 'restoring' a car. There are areas where you can use alternate methods and products where no-one will ever know the difference.

No need to be buying a NOS item that will never be seen where an alternate product does the same job and will never be noticed. :thumbsup:

I always say, "the rest of the world doesn't care"

Auto Transport Service
Back