• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Convertible Help

Daytrepper

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:38 PM
Reaction score
Hi all.

Got a 66 Coronet convertible I've been putting together for the last couple years.

This is my first convertible, I've got a couple questions on the top, and the boot.

I've got a brand new boot to install, question is, does it stay in the car with top up-- folds down and sits in the well maybe? Or do you take it off and store it in the trunk each time you put the top up? I see the front of the boot fits into a slot in the panel behind the back seat. Looks like it would be a pain to install it in that slot each time before snapping it down.

Is the back window supposed to be unzipped before the top is put down?

Thanks!

Its been a while since I had a drop top. Boot came off and was stored in the trunk and the window was unzipped before dropping the top. That might of varied as far as the window goes from model to model.

Not sure on a 66, but for my 70 Satellite the boot is in a groove behind the back seat. It takes some effort to remove so I fold it over the back seat with the top up unless I have people on the back seat. If people are in the back seat, I put the boot into the convertible top well. I don’t like to keep anything in the convertible top well though to prevent damage to the back window should an object come into contact with the window when you lower the top.

For the back window, on mine I have never touched the zipper on the back window. I just drop the top.

The owners manual says to leave the back window zipped when lowering the top... And as Paul suggests I typically leave the boot attached... I sometimes slide it out but it seems to do more harm removing it rather than leaving it...

The owners manual says to leave the back window zipped when lowering the top... And as Paul suggests I typically leave the boot attached... I sometimes slide it out but it seems to do more harm removing it rather than leaving it...
It that with the plastic or glass rear window?

It that with the plastic or glass rear window?

I was wondering the same. I've got the plastic rear window. Seems kind of pointless to unzip it, its more of a vent I think, its just across the top of the window.

Thanks for the replies all.

What Paul_B said. Unzip window before putting top down. As top is going check for pinched padding, it will stack better and be easier to snap boot on. When putting top up zip window before latching. Might want to put a rolled up towel so top is off windshield frame while zipping window. Washing rear window NO cleaner with ammonia. Use a soft brush lightly. To dry a roll of paper towel rolled over window so it doesn't unroll. Lemon Pledge if it needs cleaning. Can put creases in window if not unzipped. MO

When did they switch to glass rear windows?

When did they switch to glass rear windows?
Like I mentioned above E bodies were always glass for the factory & I can't be 100% certain on B bodies but in late 65 my cousin bought a new 66 Satellite Vert & it was glass...

The rear bow was changed taller in 67 for glass window. My 66 plastic. Asked for glass window top guy told me about the rear bow.
Clean Satellite 3.jpg

Like I mentioned above E bodies were always glass for the factory & I can't be 100% certain on B bodies but in late 65 my cousin bought a new 66 Satellite Vert & it was glass...
I knew E-Bodies were glass. Just could not remember on the B-Bodies. I had a lot of Oldsmobiles and Chevys back from the early 60's that were plastic. The mopars I had were parts cars so I never used them. So for the poster if plastic I would un-zip it and if glass from what others have said let it drop with the top.

Who ever "stretched" that top needs to do it again....

Wish I had a 66 & 67 parts manual..... I'd like to verify that rear bow part number... I know my cousin Ed's Satellite had a glass rear window... I would almost swear it was a 66 since he got it soon after he returned home from an adventure in SE Asia... But he might have kept his 64 Sport Fury a little longer than I thought....

'66 B-body was plastic; '67 changed to glass with different top bow as previously mentioned. My 1964 Polara 500 convertible had a plastic rear window in the top. Also, as previously stated, the front of the top boot is inserted in a track on the rear seat back. This is a real PITA to remove, so I always left it installed. When the top was up, I would just carefully fold the boot down into the well. I would only put the top up or down after letting the car to sit in the sun and warm the fabric up. NEVER do it cold! When putting the top down, take the boot out of the top well and drape it ahead on the rear seat. When the top is half way down (front portion of top sticking straight up), go back and work out any creases in the plastic rear window by hand so that it is a gentle roll, and lower the top the rest of the way down. Now carefully snap the boot down over the folded top.

Hi all.

Got a 66 Coronet convertible I've been putting together for the last couple years.

This is my first convertible, I've got a couple questions on the top, and the boot.

I've got a brand new boot to install, question is, does it stay in the car with top up-- folds down and sits in the well maybe? Or do you take it off andI store it in the trunk each time you put the top up? I see the front of the boot fits into a slot in the panel behind the back seat. Looks like it would be a pain to install it in that slot each time before snapping it down.

Is the back window supposed to be unzipped before the top is put down?

Thanks!

Auto Transport Service
Back