• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Convertible Help

I know this is an ancient post, didn't see any replies. You absolutely do not want to remove the boot. you can drape it over the back seat or tuck it into the well. BIG recommendation-when you go to install it, lubricate the 'track' and the hard edge of the boot with some soapy water and slide it into place. A second pair of hands would help matters.

The rear bow was changed taller in 67 for glass window. My 66 plastic. Asked for glass window top guy told me about the rear bow.View attachment 1432238

'66 B-body was plastic; '67 changed to glass with different top bow as previously mentioned. My 1964 Polara 500 convertible had a plastic rear window in the top. Also, as previously stated, the front of the top boot is inserted in a track on the rear seat back. This is a real PITA to remove, so I always left it installed. When the top was up, I would just carefully fold the boot down into the well. I would only put the top up or down after letting the car to sit in the sun and warm the fabric up. NEVER do it cold! When putting the top down, take the boot out of the top well and drape it ahead on the rear seat. When the top is half way down (front portion of top sticking straight up), go back and work out any creases in the plastic rear window by hand so that it is a gentle roll, and lower the top the rest of the way down. Now carefully snap the boot down over the folded top.
Does anyone know if a 66 top will fit on a 67 frame?
Kind of a dumb question, but that's what I have

I put mine in the well, try fold ends.
IMG_2415.JPG

Does anyone know if a 66 top will fit on a 67 frame?
Kind of a dumb question, but that's what I have
If you can measure on a 67 from the top of the seat to the bottom of last bow I'll measure my 66. Put the debate to bed.

I know this is an ancient post, didn't see any replies. You absolutely do not want to remove the boot. you can drape it over the back seat or tuck it into the well. BIG recommendation-when you go to install it, lubricate the 'track' and the hard edge of the boot with some soapy water and slide it into place. A second pair of hands would help matters.

Yep, after installing the new boot it became clear. Folds down into the well when the top is up. Boot install went pretty smooth, I did use soapy water (said to in instructions); I had to install the snaps one by one, (use proper snap pliers if you do this, NOT the tool that comes with the new boots) had to pay real close attention to make sure the boot is stretched correctly so the snaps end up in the right place. All good, really made the car look great.

newconvboot.jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back