• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

convertible top query

dantheman

Local time
6:58 PM
Reaction score
Good Day All!!! I am looking to replace my convertible top on my 67 Coronet. I was ready to commit to using cloth in lieu of vinyl. My wife's bow-tie Vett* has a cloth top and it looks so much better, IMHO, to vinyl. When discussing this with WNJ Interiors in Hatboro, they suggested, as a possible alternative, to go with a crush grain convertible top. I still see pictures, occasionally. of a black vinyl over black paint Coronet and it takes me back to 1979. However, I have never seen a convertible top in the crush grain. Do any of my fellow Moparians have a convertible top in crush grain? I would love to see what it looks like before I make the big decision.

Sorry, I don't have a picture of the grain. Many of the convertible top companies show pictures of the grain

My coronet has a crush grain top.
20231012_142807.jpg
20231030_212650.jpg
20231030_212706.jpg

The main thing is they get it pulled tight so no wrinkles. Post up some pics, before and after the new top

Yup, wrinkles are common on B body tops & look terrible.. 71RRHI's Coronet has some minor wrinkles but not bad... There's something about the B body well design that the area near the rear window gets very pronounced wrinkles..... I hope when I get mine done the guy can make it as good as 71RRHI's Coronet... Actually I'd like it even better, but I haven't seen many that are...

You got me in a quandry now. "Moparians" ? or should it be, "Moparites" ? maybe "Moparers" ? WHAT THE HELL DO WE CALL OURSELVES ????
1699334167397.png

Yup, wrinkles are common on B body tops & look terrible.. 71RRHI's Coronet has some minor wrinkles but not bad... There's something about the B body well design that the area near the rear window gets very pronounced wrinkles..... I hope when I get mine done the guy can make it as good as 71RRHI's Coronet... Actually I'd like it even better, but I haven't seen many that are...
yup, every time I put the top back up there are some wrinkles on each side of the rear window, after it has been up for a while in the sun they mostly disappear. Any way to prevent that? I guess I could just leave the top down all the time, looks better that way, anyway. Haha

Last edited:
yup, every time I put the top back up there are some wrinkles on each side of the rear window, after it has been up for a while in the sun the mostly disappear. Any way to prevent that? I guess I could just leave the top down all the time, looks better that way, anyway. Haha
Wish I knew a way to prevent it.... Both my E body tops are great.... But I know my B body won't look as good.... And like you said, they look better with the top down....

To help prevent wrinkles, keep the top up when storing or not driving. ( like overnight)

@dantheman did you get your top done. How did it turn out. Let's see some pics.

Been going back ‘n forth on a new top for my ’63 since I got a new one on a few years ago that doesn’t fit right. I liked the vinyl one I had on the ’70 Cuda and sure like the one posted here. Been thinking on a gray top to match the car. Cloth top wrinkles; but as posted, most of them go away after a while. Comments here though, does make me wonder if going with that top on my old ride wouldn’t do well.

Let see some pictures. If only there was a convertible forum. haha

That is the top my 68 has. I keep mine in the up position, unless I am driving it. It helps keep those wrinkles to a minimum. I also try to keep it as clean as I can and use dressing on it to keep it supple.

Auto Transport Service
Back