• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Converting from a Blown 426 Hemi back to stock-ish?

jayfire

Local time
12:47 PM
Reaction score
I have an original 68 426 hemi in my 68 GTX. Not a “J” code car (originally 440) It has a 6-71 Weiand blower with Holley Sniper EFI. Runs great. Tuned to about 700 horsepower. I was trying to sell it to put a 572 back in and keep it under the hood. If I sold the blower and Crager intake, would I be able to take it to a shop and get 600hp out of it? It’s already.030 over and has Stage V heads. I don’t know what the current compression is with the Arias pistons. I just want to get it back under the hood and still have the power to play! Mostly just a cruiser, no racing. Thanks IMG_9597.jpegIMG_0129.jpegIMG_9991.jpeg

OK, let me rephrase my question. I know I can get 600hp out of this engine after blower is removed. If I removed the blower and intake, replaced with a single dominator intake and put the throttle body back on, would the engine still be able to run decent enough to be able to drive it on a trailer or around the block? I know it will probably be a slug, but I would still like it to move under its own power until I can find a shop to rebuild the motor.

I would say yes but it will be limited by low compression.

How about an under the hood Procharger or something like that?

It's stock stroke? If so I would guess it's around 7-1 compression so I would just yank it and rebuild it as a naturally aspirated combination if your goal is 600hp.

It's stock stroke? If so I would guess it's around 7-1 compression so I would just yank it and rebuild it as a naturally aspirated combination if your goal is 600hp.
Yes, I’m assuming stock stroke. I bought it this way. I want to pull the blower off and go back to dual quads, but I don’t have the funds or a quality shop around here to do the work. I want it to still run under its own power to get it on/off a trailer and into the garage. How would it run with 7-1 compression? I could have a one of one with the lowest horsepower hemi!! Probably not a good selling point though!

pull that blower and put twin turbos on that motor and keep it all under the hood . and 700 hp's would be easy to get out of that stage 5 440 hemi .

Buy pistons and rings and hone it. Likely will need a cam better suited for the new application.

Auto Transport Service
Back