• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Converting to Telescoping Antenna?

JR_Charger

Local time
3:15 AM
Reaction score
I did not even know there was such a thing - Link

I always thought the fixed antenna hurt the Charger's lines, and it's a big pain when I put the car cover on.

I'm a little concerned when it says 22"-57" - does that mean 22" of antenna are still sticking out of the fender, when it's retracted? That's not much better than what I've got. I'll still be searching for the antenna hole in the car cover.

Can this be installed without removing the fender?

Are there any other options? Retrosound has one that can be installed under the dash. Not sure how good that is, but then I'd have an antenna hole in the fender to fill.

I always thought the fixed antenna hurt the Charger's lines, and it's a big pain when I put the car cover on.

I'm a little concerned when it says 22"-57" - does that mean 22" of antenna are still sticking out of the fender, when it's retracted? That's not much better than what I've got. I'll still be searching for the antenna hole in the car cover.

Are there any other options? Retrosound has one that can be installed under the dash. Not sure how good that is, but then I'd have an antenna hole in the fender to fill.
I went with a Hirschman power antenna for the same reason. I had the car apart for restoration, so I can't help with if the fender has to come off or not.

I went with a Hirschman power antenna for the same reason. I had the car apart for restoration, so I can't help with if the fender has to come off or not.

That's an even more affordable option. I'm betting the fender has to come off. I've got the front end off the car, so the fender would be easy to get off, and I'd like to check behind it for rest. The main thing I'm worried about is getting the fender aligned correctly when reinstalling.

You don't say what year your Charger is, but I recently replaced a defective power antenna that had been put on my 66 by a previous owner.
The one I used is off E bay, physically the same as this one : Power Antenna Kit - 1968 thru 1982 Chevy Corvette C3 AM FM Car Radio | eBay
With door open, it will just slip into the R-fnt fender in space between door and fender. Works very well..

I recently installed the RetroSound auto antenna on my 65 Belvedere without removing the fender. Installed it thru the wheel well after removing the inner splash shield. Not sure your Charger has the same type of splash shield.

Why don't you just un-screw the mast ? I have a manual retractable antenna on my RR, works great. It can be raised to variable heights, or flush with the fender top.

You don't say what year your Charger is, but I recently replaced a defective power antenna that had been put on my 66 by a previous owner.
The one I used is off E bay, physically the same as this one : Power Antenna Kit - 1968 thru 1982 Chevy Corvette C3 AM FM Car Radio | eBay
With door open, it will just slip into the R-fnt fender in space between door and fender. Works very well..

1972. I'll see what kind of access I can get through the door gap. Doesn't that antenna have to be bolted to something? Surely it isn't only fastened at the top, to the fender.

How is the extension triggered? Does it extend when the radio is turned on, or did you install an "on" button?

Why don't you just un-screw the mast ? I have a manual retractable antenna on my RR, works great. It can be raised to variable heights, or flush with the fender top.

My ideal is to be able to get in the car and go. What I've managed to accomplish in life is the opposite of that - disconnect trickle chargers, remove covers, undo "mouse mode," open manual garage doors and gate. I can't add anything more to my routine. It's breaking me.

If your radio has an antenna trigger then you can wire into that. If not, you can wire it to a switch. The antenna instructions will tell you the mounting and wiring instructions. They do mount at the bottom with a bracket and you’re going to have find a place to mount the bracket.

I have a new Mopar power antenna for a 5th Avenue that may work for you. I bought it to install in the trunk of my E body but never got around to it. You would need 13" from the top of your fender to mount it.
Here are some pics. PM me if interested.

100_9268.JPG

100_9269.JPG

100_9270.JPG

100_9271.JPG

100_9272.JPG

Pull the tire off and the splash shield between the fender and firewall off. Plenty of room to work on it in there.

I don't know which brand you're looking at, but 22"-57" could mean that, like some automatic antenna, it will adjust to different lengths depending on which FM station you're tuned into. My stock Lexus antenna does that.

I put a power antenna on the rear deck of my '64 Polara 4-door hardtop. It is on the driver's side, kind of above the rear wheel well, and is very accessible with the trunk lid open. It could be wired to the RetroSound radio's raise/lower circuit, but this only gives the option of retracted, or fully raised. I wired mine to a discretely mounted rocker switch that came with the aerial. This allows me to raise the antenna to the height I desire.

I like the idea of a separate switch to raise and lower the antenna. I won't be using the radio most of the time, so why have the antenna extended?

It only has the one angle. Like the top one....zero degrees.
Just to let you know, someone else has an interest in it but I told him you are first in line since you started the thread.

It only has the one angle. Like the top one....zero degrees.
Just to let you know, someone else has an interest in it but I told him you are first in line since you started the thread.

Thanks for your consideration. It looks like mine needs the 8* base, so if the other guy can use the 0* base he's welcome to it.

Auto Transport Service
Back