• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cordoba Convertibles Were Built In 1977

When I rolled in, I obviously pounced on the drop top. His wife pounced on my survivor Daytona. Ok, I get that ya don't see many never mind red, but it was an odd moment. Nice as it looks here, not any where near as clean as the other stuff.

Forget all that, let's ride.

july 11 09b.jpg july 11 09fb.jpg july 11 09fa.jpg

Hey, it's not like I never fed my convertible jones:

79 RC 318 4wd that I scored from the original owner in 2006. Currently have my eye on a 76 400 2wd for way cheap on Craigs. My girl and her 2012 200 that we picked up a few years ago. It's the I4 soft top and doesn't suck but a V6 retractable hard top would be way cooler.

Of all these Dobas I could have had - it's still that red one that bugs me the most. Grabbing that up before it got to ebay for like $4k in 2003 would have been really sweet.

SAM_0793.JPG 20160912_191105.jpg

Cool story & pics! I wonder if Wendell is still with us?

I either found another one or somebody de-pimped my favorite one. Turned up on FB a couple months ago, still trying to get detail. Thought he said it came from Texas which is where I lost track of it a few years back.

Sure looks like the same one - except for the tape stripe. Newer pics look the 77 factory stripes and good luck finding those.

2021_1.jpg 2021_2.jpg 2021_3.jpg

Thank you for posting all of this. A total eye opener for me. What a great looking car with the top down.

one of the dash lights was out I showed his wife how to reach up behind and change the bulb. I can be helpful like that.
Not sure if this was in humour or for real. I have to take my dash trim apart to change the bulbs. One bulb keeps going out but eventually turns on. I think one of the bulb sockets are not seated right.
I remember changing the bulbs one time and a socket came undone and fell inside the dash. 2 hours later and allot of twisting and turning I was able to get my arm up there to find it and replace in the slot. I'd like to swap the whole dash cluster out for a custom one but I heard it involves removing everything.

Not sure if this was in humour or for real. I have to take my dash trim apart to change the bulbs.

I recall back in the day reaching up to get to some. HVAC was pretty easy, maybe one right above for h/l and wiper and 1/2 speedo. Others, not so much ya gotta go in the front. As I recall the blown one was one ya could reach and she did.

Think I've seen a custom or two. I've seen a lot more of the same idea done on Dodge Trucks from the bottom of the 70s. If I was going there from scratch, I'd grab my box of extra standard clusters and bezels to use for mock up. Decide where / how to mount after market gauges. Common truck solution is thin metal / aluminum bezel with gauges mounted, one quick connect, fab replacement for plastic carrier. Finish as desired. I'd have to dig for examples.

from scratch, I'd grab my box of extra standard clusters and bezels to use for mock up.
This is the dash cluster I customized in my Cuda. The dash came apart really easy and went from there. I wanted to do the same for my 77 Cordoba but I found out the complete front dash, top to bottom, has to be removed. Looks like too much work.

IMG_20140920_000258.jpg

This is the dash cluster I customized in my Cuda. The dash came apart really easy and went from there. I wanted to do the same for my 77 Cordoba but I found out the complete front dash, top to bottom, has to be removed. Looks like too much work.

View attachment 1081979
I wanna say I've done it in 15 minutes. Ok, boneyard and 1/2 the dash removed already but it's not horibble.

Top and bottom bezels, hvac controller, radio, head light and wiper switch. Remove metal plate under radio / hvac, unbolt column from carrier but leave in car. Take off dash pad, unbolt carrier, pull it forward, unclip the wiring harness, done.

59.jpg

I wanna say I've done it in 15 minutes. Ok, boneyard and 1/2 the dash removed already but it's not horibble.

Top and bottom bezels, hvac controller, radio, head light and wiper switch. Remove metal plate under radio / hvac, unbolt column from carrier but leave in car. Take off dash pad, unbolt carrier, pull it forward, unclip the wiring harness, done.

View attachment 1082432
That seems easier than I thought. I will have to rethink this. Maybe part of next winter project. I want to get my steering wheel redone to fix the multitude of cracks so this may be a good time. Thanks for the input.

That seems easier than I thought. I will have to rethink this.

It literally is that simple and here's the bit that isn't: if it has power windows / locks, the harness that connects both doors, relays, power feed is clipped to the back of the gauge carrier. Best guess is order of assembly. As in: hang this harness from that before ya shove it in.

Makes it very annoying when you just want to grab the power door harness because you've got to yank the carrier to detach the dumb thing. Rest of the body harness, no.

It literally is that simple and here's the bit that isn't: if it has power windows / locks, the harness that connects both doors, relays, power feed is clipped to the back of the gauge carrier. Best guess is order of assembly. As in: hang this harness from that before ya shove it in.

Makes it very annoying when you just want to grab the power door harness because you've got to yank the carrier to detach the dumb thing. Rest of the body harness, no.
Luckily I don't have power windows or doors. Thanks again.

Sure looks like the same one - except for the tape stripe. Newer pics look the 77 factory stripes and good luck finding those.
Finally had a conversation with the current owner - it is in fact the Russo / Steel car minus the continental kit and Kelsey Hayes. Yes, he actually managed to score a complete NOS stripe kit.

In other news: Wendel's just changed hands again. Going to a guy that knows absolutely nothing about them.

Oh, I recall people were plunking down serious $$$ for the Eldorado, the "last" convertible !! Lol !! What a joke !
I was working for one of the biggest Caddy Dealers in Cleveland ,I'm thinking Hess was the company that did all of caddys till Cadillac starting marking there own and boy did that strip the **** up with Caddy people
69127066b874f945ed72df090648efa3.jpg

Last edited:
that snap top looks like a rush to get down or one hell of a after thought :eek:

Wendel forwarded this one to me near the end of 2010 - another tan one and another column shift car. The thing I find uber weird about this one is the burgundy interior. The pic from the back makes it look like Emess added a filler panel to the sail panel when they cut the top off.

The seller said they impounded in San Bernardina, CA with 53k on the clock and that it sat in their impound yard untouched for 8 yrs after that. Said they had paperwork for it but I never got an ask price. Suspect it could have been had real cheap and yes, I have an extra windshield in my stash.

View attachment 683867
Unconfirmed rumor says this car rescued, fixed, painted red, last known Kansas? area.

Auto Transport Service
Back