• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cordoba Drum Brakes

XCELLR8

Local time
7:53 AM
Reaction score
I did a search, but no answer. I am wanting to know if the rear drums brakes on the Chrysler Cordoba's are the same for a 8.25 and 9.25 rear end. If not, what's different.

Looking on the AutoZone website, there appears to be 10" or 11" brakes for a '77 Cordoba, both 318 & 400 cid.

Compare
2.jpg
Fits Your Vehicle Duralast Brake Drum - Rear

Price: $62.99
  • Part Number: 8860
  • Warranty: 2 years
  • Notes: 11" brakes
Store Pick Up
In Stock
See Store(s) With Item
Ship To Home
In Stock
ADD TO CART
View Details & Buy
Compare
2.jpg
Fits Your Vehicle Duralast Brake Drum - Rear

Price: $49.99
  • Part Number: 8877
  • Warranty: 2 years
  • Notes: 10" brakes
Store Pick Up
Order in Store
See Store(s) With Item
Ship To Home

car-parts.com show the 11" from AT LEAST '69-'84 and the 10" from AT LEAST '73-'87. Add that to the fact that 8-1/4", 8-3/4", 9-1/4" and Dana 60's were available through those years, it's a fair bet that the only difference is the rear end itself.....not 100% sure, but 90%+ sure you can use either size on any of these rear ends, though some combinations may not have been offered by the factory. Google cannot answer this question.

My '77 has the 8.25"rear with the 10" drums. Motor is a 400. Now the service manual is not always correct, but in 2 different locations it says 11"x 2.5" were standard. Maybe my car being a later build they used what was left?

I do know the 8.25 rear 10" brakes complete will go onto an 8.75 and also know the 11" drums I had ordered for an 8.75 on a 68 Chrysler Newport were the same ones used for 9.25" truck rear ends.

So my thought is yes they should easily swap complete from the 8.25 to the 9.25 and visa versa

I have done this 10 - 11 inch swap.

Take everything including the backing plate just bolt it on where the 10 inch was.

I have done this 10 - 11 inch swap.

Take everything including the backing plate just bolt it on where the 10 inch was.

Listen to Rumble (& Kernel) on this one.... he's knowledgeable in this area for sure.

I ask as I have the 8.25 with drums and the 9.25 I have does not have any brake hardware on it. Both the 8.25 and 9.25 are the same year (1977). So it sound like I can just swap them.

The brake hardware will not swap from backing plate to backing plate BUT you can swap the entire brake system (backing plate and outwards) over from one axle to the next.

Last edited:
I was looking into this further and have a question. I am wanting to know if I will have to remove the axles to get the backing plates switched from the 9.25 to the 8.25 and vise versa. Does anybody know?

Auto Transport Service
Back