• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Correct 1970 superbee wheel size

benbuilder

Local time
5:29 AM
Reaction score
I am trying to determine the correct size FACTORY rally wheel for my 1970 superbee. The code on the build sheet is unreadable due to the spring rusting. Is it a 14 x7?
Thanks

15x7
OR
14x5.5" ,,,I think. as I dont think the 14x6 came out till later

Thanks.
The service manual says two different things- but i am no expert.

Under the MINIMUM TIRE SIZE AND INFLATION PRESSURES, it says
tire F70-14,
standard wheel size-6JJ

at the end of the chapter it lists specifications for the coronet and the charger,
it says RIM 5. but not sure what that references

The wheel must be 6 right? It cant be 5?

If you want me to post pictures of the pages i can.

In 1970 the standard rim on the Super Bee was a 14x6. In 1969 the standard rim was 14x5.5

Road wheels and rally wheels were 14x5.5 still in 1970 and then the 15x7 rally also available. I just looked up in 70-71 parts book.

I own a 1970 Coronet 440 R/T Convertible. The original tires where F70/14 on the 14x5.5 rally rims. These also match the unused spare tire in the trunk with the tire manufacturer paper decal still on the tread. My car was built mid November 1969. I have them in storage after placing 15x7 color matched steel rims with redline dogdish hubcaps on front and 15x8 on the rear.

Last edited:
You may-well be correct. For further piece of mind, what's your "T" tire code on your build sheet? That still jibe, then? And can you read your "spare"? (don't know if that is relevant much)

Mark

You may-well be correct. For further piece of mind, what's your "T" tire code on your build sheet? That still jibe, then? And can you read your "spare"? (don't know if that is relevant much)

Mark

Here is a copy of the build sheet. A seat spring rested right on it. Can you tell?
Thanks
build sheet.jpg

Your tire code (in "BASIC CAR" line-2) is T87 which is F70-14 Raised White Letter.
Your wheel/cover code ("SALES CODES" line-11) is W21 which is Rallye Wheels.
Your WHEELS code ("BUILD CODES" line-4) is (I believe) 61 which is 14 x 6 Rallye Wheels

The only other code in this position that is "(something)&1" is "71" - 15 x 7 Rallye Wheels which doesn't jibe with your tire size.

Since your car had Rallye's or Road's, the "TX9" color code (Black) only applies to the spare tire's wheel.

Your Spare code "16" is a 14 x 6 steel wheel. Since it's a full size spare, I would think it would also be an F70-14 RWL ...same as the other 4, but I'm not positive of that.
Your Wheel Cover code "24" is a 14" Trim Ring Part number 2944424

That's what I come up with. Others may be able to confirm or negate.

Thanks
Mark

Well - crud. Now I'm finding conflicting info (that never happens with decoding, right?!) that 61 and 16 refer to 5.5" wide wheels....

Still looking.

According to Paul Herd's interchange book, these would be 14" x 5.5": part number 2944252 Rallye's, with part no. 2944395 or 3420977 spare on steel. Sorry for the misinfo.

M

Regarding 14” Rallye wheels, the only width available in 70 thru 72 model years was 5.5”. For 73, 6” became available on B-Bodies only. A & E still got 5.5”. The 5.5” got F70 and 6” got G70 tires.

Auto Transport Service
Back