• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Correct 1971 Parking Brake Hook

MoparGuy68

Local time
7:13 AM
Reaction score
I’m looking for the correct parking brake hook for a 1971 B-Body. YearOne shows two different hooks. #IN02 for 70-71 E-Body and #IN04 for 72-74 B-Body. Which of these two is correct for a 71 B-Body?

When I bought my SuperBee the parking brake hook was missing from the car. In addition, the parking brake cable was routed underneath the exhaust pipes, so that when you apply the parking brake the cable got pulled tight against the bottom of exhaust pipes. This was bad and wrong.

Over a year ago, after removing the headers, I relocated the cable above the pipes. Then temporarily installed a bent piece of coat hanger wire to use as a hook to hold the cable up so it doesn’t lay on the top of the exhaust pipes.

I’ve looked at the underside of several 71 Chargers that were sold by Vanguard Motors. The hooks are inconsistent on their cars. Some cars appear to have the #IN02 hook other cars have the #IN04 hook. One of their cars had the same bad arrangement as my car did when I bought it.. Was surprised to see that Vanguard would sell a car with the parking brake cable routed incorrectly like that.

FB23D230-D918-43ED-9891-8D810E0208AB.jpeg 8AAC6D99-05E4-45BB-8110-F7C32FB63432.jpeg 16B7FA9B-807B-436C-81E8-05EC1A61D0B9.jpeg AB5D22CC-A6F5-49E1-9FA0-CF0CE84496F3.jpeg A1B111BE-2565-4407-8638-CDB361174F2C.jpeg BF501215-D2B7-44D1-AA09-0E195E082E78.jpeg

I don't see where you got a reply, so I'll chime in. Sccording to the 70-71 and 72 parts books, the hook for '71 B body is the same as '72. The part number is 3575592. I didn't check 73-74, but they are probably the same too. You should order the IN04. Hope this helps. Dan

Correct? those repos don't look anything like the '71-72 B-body originals. Look more like E-body long hooks 3467903
IMG_0374r.JPG

Last edited:
I have the original hook on my 71. Pretty sure it looks like the IN04 one. I will get it up on the lift this weekend and take a coupe pics for you.

I have never seen one like above on any 71-74 I have owned.

Interesting, short run on those.

I was leaning toward the IN04 before I started the thread. It looks like it will best keep the cable off the pipes on my particular car.

Correct? those repos don't look anything like the originals.
View attachment 1209159
I don’t recall seeing a hook like that on my 71 Challenger. Though I can’t remember exactly what it looked like. Unfortunately, I don’t have any photos of my Challenger’s hook, or the underside of the car, and haven’t seen it in 23 years.

For now, temporarily, I just need a hook that will allow me to apply the rear brakes. If I push down on that parking brake pedal the coat hanger will bend and pop loose.

Pic 1 is the original on my August 70 built 71 Charger. Pic 2 is one from my E-Body stash. Pic 3 is the original on my 74 Charger.

IMG_2007.jpg

IMG_2008.jpg

IMG_2005.jpg

The 71 and E-body both are 7-1/4" in length.

72RoadRunnerGTX is spot on. I had to learn the hard way. Bought INL13330 from Inline and the intermediate cable separate. I have a 71 GTX built in 9/70. The trans hook as stated above, not even close. Per 72RRGTX post, I bought a correct flat can opener looking trans cross member piece on ebay. Fits perfect.

The next issue for me after that is the threaded rod to tighten things down. Their kit and or single component one is 18 plus inches. Too long. You can't tighten up the slack because of that. My understanding is that it should be 16 inches. And just being under the car, that would be absolutely correct, at least for my 9/70 build 71.

Because I sat on my kit and didn't install it right away, I'm past their 30 day return policy, I'm stuck with it. They were not helpful at all and their product advertising is definitely misleading and or incorrect. So, I'm just going to shorten the threaded rod. Both the threaded hook and trans hook, will not work on a 71...at least my build date. Don't know where date cutoffs are.

I’m back to addressing this parking brake hook..

My car is a 71 Super Bee, build date 9-3-70. My 727 transmission cross brace looks identical to the brace on T2R9’s 8-70 built 71 Charger. My brace does NOT look like 72RoadrunnerGTX’s brace. The schematic he posted showing the short weird looking hook I have found in a 72 Plymouth service manual. My 71 Dodge service manual does NOT show that hook in its schematic.

I currently cannot see the part number he posted as I’m typing this, but the weird short hook, according to my 72 Plymouth manual, was only used on the Satellite/Roadrunner/GTX models.

I have photographed the schematic drawings from three manuals (71 & 73 Dodge, and 72 Plymouth).

The 71 & 73 Dodge manual schematics show what looks like the Year One IN04 hook. The 72 Plymouth shows that same hook in the main drawing and the weird hook, in a separate drawing referenced as being for Satellite only.

T2R9’s hook, shown on his 71 Charger, looks like IN02.

I think I will order both IN04 and IN02 and use whichever hook works best on my car. I need a functional parking brake. That’s first priority now. I’m not sure that my cross member will allow attachment of the IN04 hook to the top, but I know I could install the IN02 hook how T2R9 has his installed his, hooking through the hole on the bottom of the brace.

For clarity, the photo that shows two different hooks is from the 72 Plymouth manual. The yellow tinted photo is from the 73 Dodge manual. The other photo is 71 Dodge manual. These are photos taken of my manuals in my possession. The 72 and 73 manuals are originals, the 71 is a re-print from Year One.

E6C1B821-933C-4481-97F1-6D1D48A7B4D1.jpeg F3AE17F0-F531-4F3C-A61C-A3BADE258970.jpeg 99B2CA44-0DB2-4AC7-82AA-FBF60DC33570.jpeg

Correct? those repos don't look anything like the '71-72 B-body originals. Look more like E-body long hooks 3467903
View attachment 1209605
It sure look like you show this weird Satellite hook mounted two different ways. In this thread it is hooked to the top of the brace. In your older thread it is hooked to the hole in the bottom of the brace. The drawing in the 72 Plymouth manual shows it hooked to the top of the brace, like you have it in this thread. The brace on my car (same as T2R9’s), doesn’t look like it will allow attaching any of these hooks to the top of the brace).

I also noticed that the 73 Dodge drawing shows another alternate hook attachment for R & W models..

Now I’m wondering if I need to crawl under the damn car again to check if there is a way to attach the hook at the top of the brace. None of these drawings seem to indicate the hook going through the round hole in the bottom of the brace (where I currently have my custom cut piece of coat hanger wire).

The ’71 Plymouth Service Manual diagram doesn’t show the correct hook for the “Satellite Models” either. The parts book matrix (posted above) clearly shows what hook was specified for ’71 (R) Plymouth AND (W) Dodge b-body platform. It calls out 3575592 as the hook used for ‘71, ‘72 parts cat also shows the same thing, NOS hook pictured above. Not reproduced, the s-hooks offered by some vendors now are not correct for that b-body application, too long.

Curious, how is your transmission crossmember different than the pictured ’72?

Yea, there is an older picture posted here somewhere showing it on the bottom of the crossmember, not correct, goes on top of the crossmember. Yes, there are holes on the top and on the bottom.

'71-72 Engineering diagram dated Feb 1970, note the hook part number specified for R&W.
Brake cable.jpg

Brake cable2.jpg

Last edited:
I have a few of the 72's and could never remember where they went. Thanks Doug, now I know. I also have some of the rod type.

The ’71 Plymouth Service Manual diagram doesn’t show the correct hook for the “Satellite Models” either. The parts book matrix (posted above) clearly shows what hook was specified for ’71 (R) Plymouth AND (W) Dodge b-body platform. It calls out 3575592 as the hook used for ‘71, ‘72 parts cat also shows the same thing, NOS hook pictured above. Not reproduced, the s-hooks offered by some vendors now are not correct for that b-body application, too long.

Curious, how is your transmission crossmember different than the pictured ’72?

Yea, there is an older picture posted here somewhere showing it on the bottom of the crossmember, not correct, goes on top of the crossmember. Yes, there are holes on the top and on the bottom.

'71-72 Engineering diagram dated Feb 1970, note the hook part number specified for R&W.
View attachment 1270074
View attachment 1270076
Please compare the photos of my cross member in post #2 and your cross member in post #4. Yours has what looks like U-shaped notches, at the top of the member, facing toward the rear of the car. Mine does not have the notches.

Where is the hole located, at the top of the cross member, to attach the hook to?

Let me try to get this thoroughly confusing story with this part clear..

You are stating the weird, short 3-inch hook was installed by the Chrysler factories on all 71 to 74 B-Bodies (Plymouth and Dodge).

The longer S-hooks were factory installed on all E-Bodies.

The 1971 service manual diagram drawings are incorrect in regards to B-Bodies.

These short 3-inch hooks are NOT reproduced by anyone. The only way to obtain one is to find an original part.

Please compare the photos of my cross member in post #2 and your cross member in post #4. Yours has what looks like U-shaped notches, at the top of the member, facing toward the rear of the car. Mine does not have the notches.

There is part number change listed in the parts manual for ’71 B&E body. Up to June 1971 it is was 2962074 and after June ’71 it is 3583188. Not sure the difference in numbers but it shouldn’t have anything to do with the cable hook. The picture in post #4 is an original ’72 part, also specified as 3583188, as are the brake cable and hook

Where is the hole located, at the top of the cross member, to attach the hook to?

The hole is in the top surface directly in line with the lower hole, should be able to see through the cross member looking up

You are stating the weird, short 3-inch hook was installed by the Chrysler factories on all 71 to 74 B-Bodies (Plymouth and Dodge).

I am stating ’71 and 72 B-bodies used the same hook number 3575592 (stamped “weird looking” 3-inch hook) as defined by both the parts manuals and original engineering diagrams posted above. The ’73-74 B-bodies used completely different cross member and hook, pictures posted above indicate a rod-type s-hook for that application.

The longer S-hooks were factory installed on all E-Bodies.

The 6” s-hooks reproductions offered now are E-body only, are too long when used with the correct B-body length intermediate cable. Just went through this recently with Craig’s (Slant 6 Music) ’71 GTX.

The 1971 service manual diagram drawings are incorrect in regards to B-Bodies.

Incorrect? No, but service manuals are full of these types of omissions especially early prints for new platforms. If you want to know what parts belong to what, get a Factory Parts Manual.

These short 3-inch hooks are NOT reproduced by anyone. The only way to obtain one is to find an original part.

Not reproduced that I’ve seen. Sounds like moparmarks has some, get a hold of him.

My 71 GTX uses the weird flat hook as stated by 72RRGTX. The S hook one just does not fit correctly. Been there done that. Smaller flat style hook fits in perfectly and aligns everything else properly. I got one off of ebay. Thanks 72 RRGTX for your help on this.

My build date is 9/70.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back