• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Correct Air Cleaner for early build 1969 Road Runner

pro-streeter

Local time
1:44 AM
Reaction score
I need your help out there. I have a Dec 1968 build date 69 Road Runner. The air cleaner is a dual snorkle style fully enclosed element black. Based on the history I know about the car It is thought to be original. However the earlier pictures I have (not taken by me) show a 383 Magnum pie plate on the air cleaner. I have always understood the Magnum to be a Dodge term. Any help hear will be appriciated. The engine does match. The car has factory p/s and a/c.

Dual snorkel air cleaners were used on '69 Road Runners that were sold and delivered new in California. They also had no exhaust tips. They all had turn downs.

69_383ds_01.jpg

That is great information and helps me confirm the air cleaner used on my early build 1969 Road Runner. Thanks

I need your help out there. I have a Dec 1968 build date 69 Road Runner. The air cleaner is a dual snorkle style fully enclosed element black. Based on the history I know about the car It is thought to be original. However the earlier pictures I have (not taken by me) show a 383 Magnum pie plate on the air cleaner. I have always understood the Magnum to be a Dodge term. Any help hear will be appriciated. The engine does match. The car has factory p/s and a/c.

A Magnum pie pan is for a Dodge.

- - - Updated - - -

Dual snorkel air cleaners were used on '69 Road Runners that were sold and delivered new in California. They also had no exhaust tips. They all had turn downs.

But since A/C cars came with the 330 horse instead of the 335, did they still get the Road Runner pie pan or the Super comando pie pan?

That is the air cleaner on mine. It is a L.A. built car however it would appear the correct style tips came with the car as they too seem to be original. Maybe they were added they are actual correct Road Runner oval tips.???image13.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Here is another picture of the engine. I did not know A/C car are rated 330 HP ThanksimageCAY05PG9.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Kinda wierd that it has the Magnum is on it. The car appeared to be fairly correct with the exception of the typical hose replacements alternater etc. Who knows maybe it was added later??

Kinda wierd that it has the Magnum is on it. The car appeared to be fairly correct with the exception of the typical hose replacements alternater etc. Who knows maybe it was added later??

The Magnum tin is definitely wrong. The question is whether or not an A/C equipped RR came with RR pie tin or the Super Commando tin.

It's interesting that the MMC site does not show a '69 RR pie tin.

The Heard restoration book is so full of wrong information that it is virtually worthless as a reference.

I did not know A/C car are rated 330 HP

Yes. They had the turquoise engine.

Is an AVS 4638 is correct for this CA car?

Yes, that is the correct carb for '69 383 330 horse with A/C regardless of where sold.

Thanks you for all the information. So the engine as it is pictured above in orange is incorrect as it should be turquoise??
I will get the Road Runner pie tin as that would be correct by most standards.
Good news on the carb number as I bought one on ebay thinking it to be correct.

Thanks you for all the information. So the engine as it is pictured above in orange is incorrect as it should be turquoise??
I will get the Road Runner pie tin as that would be correct by most standards.
Good news on the carb number as I bought one on ebay thinking it to be correct.

Yes. '69 383 A/C engines were turquoise.

Why would the air conditioned Road Runners get the 330 horse motor?

I've read speculation it was because of over reving the compressor or a cam issue. I've never seen any credible factory info that states why 383-4bbl A/C cars got the 330 horse engine...but they did in 68 and 69. 70 was different.

Auto Transport Service
Back