• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Correct engine color for 1969 440

1969CoronetR/T

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:49 PM
Reaction score
I searched this site and the sticky at the top suggests that a 1969 440 would be painted:
1969 440 V8 All Turquoise Mopar Paint P4120752

Is this correct? I am having my engine bay repainted as well as the engine and transmission. I thought the 440 was orange / red.
Thanks again,
Mark

The E85 350 horse LP 440, found in C bodies, would be turquoise.
The E86 375 horse 4bbl and 390 horse 6bbl HP engines (GTX's, R/Ts, A12 RR's and Super Bees, Chrysler TNT option and M code A bodies) would be orange.

So the answer to your question is:

What was the application? What is the documentation on the application if it's a C body?

I searched this site and the sticky at the top suggests that a 1969 440 would be painted:
1969 440 V8 All Turquoise Mopar Paint P4120752

Is this correct? I am having my engine bay repainted as well as the engine and transmission. I thought the 440 was orange / red.
Thanks again,
Mark

Depends on application

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]1969[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]225 Six[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]All[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Red[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Mopar Paint P4349218[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]1969[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]273 V8 - LA[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]All[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Red[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Mopar Paint P4349218[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]1969[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]318 V8 - LA[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]All[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Red[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Mopar Paint P4349218[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]1969[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]318 V8 - LA - Police only[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Police engine[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]H-Orange[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Mopar Paint P4349216[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]1969[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]340 V8 - LA - See Note below[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]All[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Red[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Mopar Paint P4349218[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]1969[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]383 V8[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]All[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Turquoise[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Mopar Paint P4120752[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]1969[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]383 V8 High Perf/Police[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]High Perf[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]H-Orange[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Mopar Paint P4349216[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]1969[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]426 HEMI[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Street Engine[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]H-Orange[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Mopar Paint P4349216[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]1969[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]440 V8[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]All[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Turquoise[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Mopar Paint P4120752[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]1969[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]440 V8 High Perf/Police[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]High Perf[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]H-Orange[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Mopar Paint P4349216[/FONT]

source and extensive list here: http://www.turbinecar.com/misc/enginecolor.htm

That list and the list in the sticky are incorrect proving there is a lot of wrong information on the Internet. I'd like to see them edited and corrected. Lists like that cause too much confusion for people like the OP.

Hemi Orange 318 Police motors?????

The best information on the Web is the factory information posted in the library at HH historical. http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/TSBs/1969/D69-25-1%20page5.jpg Yet, one must confirm some of the information in the factory documents as there were changes over the model year.

The casting on the engine is from a New Yorker, but I want to paint it the color it would have been if it was born in my 1969 Coronet R/T. So, Orange would have been the correct color for the R/T.

The casting on the engine is from a New Yorker, but I want to paint it the color it would have been if it was born in my 1969 Coronet R/T. So, Orange would have been the correct color for the R/T.

Yes. Orange would be correct for a 69 Coronet R/T 440.

How about the transmission? Would it be painted black? I do not want to make it concours with paint daubs and correct over spray, but I am going to have it painted since it will be out of the car.
Thanks,
Mark

How about the transmission? Would it be painted black? I do not want to make it concours with paint daubs and correct over spray, but I am going to have it painted since it will be out of the car.
Thanks,
Mark
Automatic Transmission is left natural

And that would be Hemi Orange. Hemi Orange has a different Mopar part number than just Orange and it is darker than the orange.

Auto Transport Service
Back