• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Correct fuel tank sending unit for ‘73 Charger with 440

Charger Fan

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:28 AM
Reaction score
Prior to buying my Charger someone had replaced the fuel tank and sending unit. The sending unit they used has a straight-in fuel line and a return line. The original had a 90 degree bend in the fuel line and the return line so the ground strap could be used on the fuel line. They used rubber fuel line to make the 90 degree bend and left the ground strap unattached at that end since it won’t snap over or be effective on rubber. It appears that a sending unit for that year trucks and even a cuda or challenger is the right configuration. Anyone know why they don’t offer the correct sending unit for a ‘73 Charger.

Thanks but that is the problem. Classic and many other websites offer that same one and it appears to be the one currently installed. But, as you can see in the photo when it was replaced they didn’t attach the end of the ground strap because it was rubber hose used to connect the two ends of the metal fuel line. That leads me to believe the original sending unit had a 90 degree bend in the metal portion of the tube so the ground strap could bridge the rubber and connect back to metal and accomplish the intent of ground. I’ve seen a few on line for 1972 models but they don’t have a return line provision like mine.

Sorry forgot to add photo

IMG_1555.jpeg

This is the configuration I believe was original on the Charger but these are listing for 1973 or 1974 E bodies. One has the fuel line and return line provision and the other just fuel line.

FG67A_TOP_P04.jpg

FG67C_TOP_P04.jpg

It appears to me that the installer positioned the hose too far onto the sending unit nipple and probably the fuel line also. Rubber line only needs to go past the fat part of the nipple/fuel line far enough to secure with hose clamp. If that is done on both hose ends the ground strap can be snapped on the fuel line at the top side then follow the rubber hose routing to the sender nipple where there should be plenty of nipple exposed to attach the other end of the ground strap.

Hope that works for you.

Grounding strap could use a little cleaning to get good contact.
https://www.classicindustries.com/product/1973/dodge/charger/parts/mf290

It appears to me that the installer positioned the hose too far onto the sending unit nipple and probably the fuel line also. Rubber line only needs to go past the fat part of the nipple/fuel line far enough to secure with hose clamp. If that is done on both hose ends the ground strap can be snapped on the fuel line at the top side then follow the rubber hose routing to the sender nipple where there should be plenty of nipple exposed to attach the other end of the ground strap.

Hope that works for you.
That is what I ended up doing on my 74 Charger. If I remember correctly, the original sending unit had a longer fuel tube with a bend in it. I used another sending unit as I couldn't find an original. It seems the e-body one had the bend at strainer end going the wrong way. It's been awhile. There was a protective cover to protect the rubber hose from the tail pipe heat too.
Here's the photo of what I did.
Terry W.

Fuel Tank Sending Unit (Medium).jpg

Fuel Line Shield 4.jpg

Last edited:
Does anyone have a picture of the original? The parts book indicates its part number 3780567.

That is what I ended up doing on my 74 Charger. If I remember correctly, the original sending unit had a longer fuel tube with a bend in it. I used another sending unit as I couldn't find an original. It seems the e-body one had the bend at strainer end going the wrong way. It's been awhile. There was a protective cover to protect the rubber hose from the tail pipe heat too.
Here's the photo of what I did.
Terry W.

View attachment 1561510

View attachment 1561511
I have looked at the E-body unit but was uncertain how far down the pick-up or float went since I believe the fuel tank in e-bodies was different than b-body tanks. Looks like you found the solution by bending the the ground strap. Was the shield a factory installed item? Mine didn't have one but it could be they didn't re-install it.

Here are pics of the 3/8" sender from my 74 440 Rallye. It is actually part number 3488980 but crosses to 3780567. I have looking for an NOS of either part number for a while with no luck.

IMG_3468.JPG
IMG_3469.JPG

Both of my 74 Chargers had the steel shield. I'll try to get a photo of my other 74 gas tank sending unit. I haven't been under that car in a long time and I'll see what sending unit it has in it and get a photo. These are both small blocks so I assume the sending units will be the same except mine will be 5/16" tube. I would also suggest using the original locking ring as the repros seem a little loose when installed. I cleaned my original ring up and reused it. I seem to remember my original sending unit looking like the one T2R9 posted with the tubes bent almost 90 degrees to clear frame rails.
Terry W.

Mine has the shield as well.

Here is a NOS 71 3/8" sender, 3514443, Looks like all repops are based on the 71 style and say they "fit" 71-74. My 72 parts manual shows the went to the 3780567 one. So all the repops are based on a one year only unit.

DSCN2053.jpg

20200602_141434.jpg
20230820_115005.jpg

On my 72, OER unit, 5/16th: Floats do NOT last in ethonal, plastic TOTALLY gone, here's the brass: stock piled floats while at $10 each

So I crawled under my other 74 Charger which is waiting its turn to go into my shop. I removed the heat shield and took a photo of the sending unit. I know the 73 and 74 gas tanks are different in that the vent line comes off the top of the tank where there's a big hump on the top. The sending units are in the same location though. At one time, I actually had a 73 tank in my one 74 Charger due to the tank getting a hole in it from a road hazard. I had to use a piece of wood to fill the gap between the tank top and the trunk floor hump in the 74 until I got the tank fixed. What I wanted you to see is the fuel line out of the sending unit has a bend in it to clear the frame.
Terry W.

Fuel Sending Unit 1.jpg

Here is a pic of a 3/8" with the shield in place. The exhaust passes between the shield and the frame rail.

IMG_3329.JPG

Any suggestions on where I might find one of those heat shileds?

Auto Transport Service
Back