• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Correct Gas Cap

pioneer61

Local time
4:12 PM
Reaction score
Can anyone confirm the correct (non locking) gas cap on both a 72 and 74 Charger? I'm planning on purchasing these but the catalogs show an unexpected range of items. The one on my 74 looks like a red shop rag which i assume may be factory if built on a Friday. The one on my 72 is pictured and reads Caution Open Slowly

20220121_144209.jpg

i had seen that but wasn't sure if it was correct. Did they really say "Made in Mexico" on it? Classic Industries sells a cap that says Made in Mexico while Year One has a similar cap that doesn't say it. Then there's this current ebay item.. that claims to be a 72 cap...part number 3549086. Your thoughts?

s-l400.jpg s-l400-1.jpg s-l400-2.jpg

Book calls out 3549088 for production beginning March '72;
gas caps.jpg

Don't see 3549086 anywhere. I use Stant caps, 10807 should be the later double latching cap.

Last edited:
appreciate you putting up that parts list and the link. never thought a restoration would require so much research

That cap is choice. That's a hard to find piece. I'm gonna have to pass though. Too much missing on my 74 to justify matching all the part numbers. Definitely worthy for someone going to that level of restoration.

That cap is choice. That's a hard to find piece. I'm gonna have to pass though. Too much missing on my 74 to justify matching all the part numbers. Definitely worthy for someone going to that level of restoration.
You did confirm something for me though. All the caps i've seen that claim to be OEM reproduction appear to mimic the Stant caps, while yours and another i saw on ebay don't have the Stant "S" on it and has a four digit date code on it. Unless Chrysler in some/many cases subcontracted to Stant for their caps? Can anyone confirm? I love this kind of research right here!

Interesting, as I had issues a while back on my 73. Incorrect cap caused problems. On my way to Carlisle I had serious hesitation issues which the correct cap solved. Years are different due to emission differences on the tank. Forget the Stant brand, I have never had one fit yet (even my 67).
I will go one step further and list the correct part #s as follows.
Tank (to 3/72) 3404951
Tank (after 3/72 - includes 1973) 3642103
Tank (1974) 3726425 (has the bulge)
Cap (to 2/72) 3466825
Cap (after 2/72)3549088 supersedes to 3780670
Cap (1973-4) 3549087 supersedes to 3726407 to 3906604 to 4002577(same as 75-77)
As far as the 086 #, I can't find that anywhere. The 4 digits are a date code BTW.
Hope this helps someone.

Last edited:
This helped me......immensely. Saw reviews on the Stant and complaints on the fit. With all the nuances in the caps, it's a wonder if an aftermarket one does fit well.

btw...what cap did you end up using on your 73?

Nuances? The caps function the same, non-vented with over/under pressure relief. For the ’71-74 non-vented caps in question, the April 1, ’72 fuel tank change (moving the vent lines forward) is functionally un-related to the March 1, ’72 filler tube/gas cap change over to double action latching vs. single action. The only change functionally is the double action latching. The caps will not fit correctly on a mis-matched filler tube, the later cap on an early tube is way too loose, early cap will not latch to a later tube at all. The filler tubes are interchangeable with both tanks. On the ’71-74s, with original venting in place, the cap has nothing to do fuel tank venting if sealed to the filler as designed.

Stant? Strange never any issues with a correctly applied Stant product, even at the dealers back in the day, where they were sold as direct replacements over the parts counter. Pretty simple device really.
Filler tube.jpg

Fuel tank.jpg

Last edited:
The Stant(s) have nothing to do with how they work, they don't fit tight. I am glad you had good luck but not one I have ever tried fits properly.
In answer to the other question, I looked up the part number (as I have those books on my website) and bought an NOS one at Carlisle. Paid a small fortune for it as I recall. I believe it was the one listed in the Mitchell crash manual 3726407. Fairly sure I still have the box in the garage, I'll check on it and revise.
http://www.retrorarities.com/1971-72ChargerCollision.pdf
http://www.retrorarities.com/1973-74ChargerCollision.pdf
http://www.retrorarities.com/images/73DodgeServiceManual.zip
http://www.retrorarities.com/images/1973MoparPartsCatalog.zip

I started cleaning the one that came with my car and was able to see the date code 0402. It's a Stant but i'm wondering if they weren't a contracted supplier to Chrysler plants. I'll put up some pics once my internet service decides to play nice.

Looking for P/N 3466825 myself or a Stant. The one's I keep seeing says "Pressure vacuum", not "Open Slowly".

Last edited:
Here's the cap that was on my 72 Charger. 0402 means 02/09/72. My car built on 04/29/72. Took me 3hrs to clean this thing. Special thanks to RRGTX and the ODZKing. Due to your input i learned a lot about gas caps and now know how to read the date codes.

20220124_142441.jpg 20220124_142427.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back