• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Correct water pump pulley

robocop1971

Local time
9:25 PM
Reaction score
I need some help fellows: I have a 1971 440 power steering non ac motor. I replaced my power steering belt two times in a span of two months; I think I have the wrong water pump pulley. The belt is getting stretched. So I need your help to identify what pulley I need on the water pump. Here's my set-up: I currently have a two groove water pump pulley and the power steering pump belt goes around the rear groove of the water pump pulley and that's it with the alternator belt going around the 3rd groove of the crank pulley and that's it.....................Here's what I think I need: I think the power steering belt should just go around the second groove of the crank pulley and that's it.....with the alternator belt going around the 3rd groove of the crank pulley and the single groove of the "correct water pump pulley". if I need a single groove water pump pulley what's the correct size?
Thanks for your help and Thanks FBBO!

I recently had a similar problem. You should have a single groove water pump pully with the belt going to the alternator. I'm thinking 6 7/8" but I could be wrong. Power steering goes to the crank pulley. My problem was the pulley was making contact with the water pump bolts. Had it shim it to get enough clearance.

Thanks for the information - Im glad Im not the only one that had this issue!

Auto Transport Service
Back