• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Corroseal compatability questions

RJ Squirrel

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:16 AM
Reaction score
Good morning all happy Monday eh. I have searched and can not find a definitive answer- is it a good idea to spray urethane 2k primer over corroseal rust converter primer?
I used it on surface rusted interior areas, underside of roof, under dash, floors, trunk etc. Has anybody had good experience with this?

That is a good idea AFTER the corroseal is 100% dry. I say this because 1/2 of your urethane 2k primer reacts with water & Corroseal is a water-based product

Thanks for the reply. I asked because my plan was to seal up the entire shell with SPI epoxy. I asked SPI if there were any compatability issues with their epoxy over Corroseal- the answer I got back was "unfortunately I can not recommend my epoxy over this product" - Andy

Thanks for the reply. I asked because my plan was to seal up the entire shell with SPI epoxy. I asked SPI if there were any compatability issues with their epoxy over Corroseal- the answer I got back was "unfortunately I can not recommend my epoxy over this product" - Andy
Hmmm...that guy is concerned about 1. adhesion of epoxy to Corroseal or 2. flaky, loosely connected rust that the Corroseal reacted/sealed, but is still weak. On my car, I used a very similar product to Corroseal (Rust Mort) that was allowed to fully dry (1 week or more in my case) before spraying a self etching epoxy primer over it (& bare metal). I haven't noticed any adhesion problems.

My point is this....I don't think it's an issue of "epoxy or urethane" over Correseal. I think you may want to remove as much loose rust as possible (wire wheel) before applying Correseal, allow it to FULLY dry, then use either an epoxy or a urethane. I think you'll be fine. FYI- neither component of an epoxy reacts with water, but some epoxy "part B" can get what they call a "blush" if water is around when the epoxy cures. It's sort of a hazy, oily surface film...which is not good for adhesion of whatever goes on top of the epoxy

Auto Transport Service
Back