• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Couple of questions on fixing interior parts..

icetech

Local time
7:52 PM
Reaction score
Soo, finally removed one of the rear inner panels today and i basically am trying to save all of my original door panels, they are in OK shape but have spots where the vinyl has curled over the edges a little.. I did some searching and read that mineral oil/baby oil will soften the vinyl and a bit of heat to get it back in place but what adhesive is good to get it stuck back to the board itself?

As far as the boards all being warped a bit, i was going to try a electric heating pad that doesn't get very hot (made for seedlings) and weight to try to get them flat again..

So.. i have a few small holes, was thinking of using some type of filler to level it then try to touch it up if i can find a paint close to the original gray?
2023-02-12 18.32.10.jpg

This one has me worried though, didn't notice when i bought the car but this is on the front of the passenger dash, a perfect spot to get hit more and cracked more, it's not very noticiable yet but i can't see it getting better on it's own.. any ideas how to get the vinyl in better shape and coat it in something to reinforce it?
Not like i can just order a new one :)
2023-02-12 18.31.54.jpg

The best thing I have found to flatten and glue down old cards to old vinyl is 2 part clear epoxy.

Brush it on between the vinyl and card and lay something heavy on it until it cures. Once it is cured you can use contact cement to glue the backside down.

As for that dash pad, just don't look at it weird. Or touch it lol.

The best thing I have found to flatten and glue down old cards to old vinyl is 2 part clear epoxy.

Brush it on between the vinyl and card and lay something heavy on it until it cures. Once it is cured you can use contact cement to glue the backside down.

As for that dash pad, just don't look at it weird. Or touch it lol.
haha yeah, i was thinking epoxy.. and i have some at work so no biggy.. i see they have vinyl repair kits, trying to find one that i might be able to match the silver/gray though, worth a try..

The dash thing.. yeah i just always see the worst case scenario.. so i worry too much :)

haha yeah, i was thinking epoxy.. and i have some at work so no biggy.. i see they have vinyl repair kits, trying to find one that i might be able to match the silver/gray though, worth a try..

The dash thing.. yeah i just always see the worst case scenario.. so i worry too much :)

The dash in my gtx is mint but it is hard as a rock. I try not to touch it or think about it haha.

The dash in my gtx is mint but it is hard as a rock. I try not to touch it or think about it haha.
Yeah, wouldn't bother me so much cept the way it stick out into a point right in the passengers face.. Not too worried, trying to find a vinyl repair kit for the door panels though in silver is pretty impossible.. i need to figure a way to mix dye or find the right color

Yeah, wouldn't bother me so much cept the way it stick out into a point right in the passengers face.. Not too worried, trying to find a vinyl repair kit for the door panels though in silver is pretty impossible.. i need to figure a way to mix dye or find the right color
It would be smart to create a release mold from your original and then create a new dash with a pour in dense closed cell foam. I'm sure if it was easy it would have been done by now. But your dash looks very nice.

I've pulled the vinyl off the door board. Then replaced the door panel board. Reglued the oringinal vinyl to it. No wrinkling afterwards.
Doug

It would be smart to create a release mold from your original and then create a new dash with a pour in dense closed cell foam. I'm sure if it was easy it would have been done by now. But your dash looks very nice.
Yeah, when i bought the car i just saw pics and couldn't see the cracks in that part.. luckily the rest of the dash is pretty much perfect, i will have to look into how to make a mold just in case.

Brought the panel in to work today to clean up and work on.. nice being able to do things like this while "Working" :) The free time means i'm not making money though.. need more customers :)

Soo.. i forgot i had this cleaner at work.. everytime i have used it on everything it just blows me away and this time is no different... I was afraid it would mess with the dye in the panels but they are fine. You can find this just about everywhere even the dollar isle in rite-aid.. **** is amazing. but needs to be diluted like 10:1
1676294474224.jpeg

I've used 3M products for any headliner, trim, or vinyl top installations I've done.

Cleaned up pretty good.. (Stainless strip removed to clean under it and polish it up) I need to find some touchup paint for this now to fix some small holes.

2023-02-13 08.47.07.jpg

BTW.. in case someone searches this in the future i just found this video which i think will be a great trick.. going to try it on this to get the texture right on the repairs

So.. just curious if anyone knows if these discoloration spots are normal? trying to figure out what it is, i have it on both rear panels, haven't checked the door ones yet. I thought it might be mold on the back of the vinyl but there is zero water dmg on my cards, they look like new (1961.. inspector #50.. those are the good ones) :) It almost looks like oil spots but i have these thing coated in mineral oil right now so it should have evened out, i am just curious if this is a normal thing?

2023-02-15 11.05.25.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back