• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cranking issues

roadrunner400

Local time
6:31 AM
Reaction score
Ok guys. Here’s the issue just finishing up a 71 satellite. She cranked and started prior to me messing with getting lights and signals and installing neutral safety harness. I got some turn signals then no brakes etc…. I went directly to grounds fiddled with those lights got better. Installed harness for NSS then dull lamps turn signal relay no blinky blinky. Removed NSS harness. Blinky blinky came back. Brake lights work. Put a turn signal on and hit brakes turn signal works other brake light pulses with turn signal. That one issue. Went to start car no crank. Meter on dash shows battery discharging when in start position like a load is on it. Over ride battery and solenoid with button starter she cranks great. I thought starter relay was bad changed it same result. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks Mike

Welcome to a great sight.
I'm no electrician but I think your dealing with more than one issue.
I would unhook the neutral safety switch wire, dbl check your hookup on the start relay, and make sure your in park and try it.
Lots of light problems stop, turn ect originate in the turn switch or grounds.
You will get more help or replies if you re post or the mods move your post to tech or electric threads @toolmanmike @Cranky
Edit...
Don's right, I did mean to bypass / jump your neutral switch wire to ground off the relay G term.
Mine is a brown wire in 67 , may want to dbl ck your 71.

Last edited:
Welcome to a great sight.
I'm no electrician but I think your dealing with more than one issue.
I would unhook the neutral safety switch wire, dbl check your hookup on the start relay, and make sure your in park and try it.
Lots of light problems stop, turn ect originate in the turn switch or grounds.
You will get more help or replies if you re post or the mods move your post to tech or electric threads @toolmanmike @Cranky
I think you meant temporarily bypass the nuetral safety switch.

Auto Transport Service
Back