• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crazy B body protour idea

Just do me one favor. Don't do it to a real R/T or similar car. Should be plenty of opportunities to save a rusty 318 car, plus those are cheaper!

Mine is not on the road yet but here are a few comments based on my progress to date (reference "B Body Stiffening thread)
The thought that one could simply remove the "body" from 67-70 B Body and install it on an LX platform is not even a simple process. The LX is appx 4" wider and longer than the B Body. There are all kinds of fittment issues right there that will make the job very time consuming and therefore expensive if you are paying someone else to do it. Not saying it cannot be done though.
From a cost of suff perspective, here are some data on my build.
Bought a 70 GTX...insert whatever you can find one for here...a rolling shell would be fine, you don't need the drivetrain anyway except the rear axle assembly perhaps.
I bought a wrecked 07 Charger with 20k miles on it for $6700 from co-parts. This gave me the 5.7, transmission, all 4 disc brakes, wiring harness, computers, dash, console, HVAC, and other misc stuff that would have cost me $$$ somewhere else.
The alterktion and 4 link rear suspension was appx $6100 with no brakes.
After those major purchases, the rest is time and whatever else you want/need to replace/repair on the car you start with i.e. I bought Corbeau seats because the Charger seats don't lean forward for rear seat access and I didn't like the seats in the GTX. Tires and wheels. With the disc set up off the Charger I will have to use minimum 17" rims, and any other customizations you desire.
So far, I have re-couped $1100 from selling parts from the charger I don't need...like fenders, headlights, ...stuff like that. I will sell whatever is left to the recycler and that will maybe get me another 500-1000.
How much is just a crate 5.7 these days? Then your choice of fuel mgmt the list goes on.
I also bought and installed the entire XV frame stiffening package and that has made a HUGE difference just sitting in the shop!
That chassis package looks like a pretty cool way to go, I wonder about "building" a "b Body" on top of it though. It would take a lot of work, these things arent like Chevys that you can take 4 bolts out and the body/chassis separate as two pieces!
Hope this helps some. e-mail me if you have some questions and I'll answer if I can.
I am a complete novice at this. This is the first time I have EVER done anything like it, hell, I never even welded anything before I started this project! Dean Rockwell at Performance Racing Development has been my guiding force on the project and he was wonderful enough to let me take it on in his shop using his equipment. How great is that?

great info :) I was told by my mechanic to buy the XV front and rear suspension. He felt this would give best ride without the complications as you suggest.

I am going to look at a 69 triple black convertible that I am told was body worked, corrosion dipped, and painted(super straight and clear)with the utmost quality in mind. Since it is still in pieces the guy wants 20g for the pile of parts. says its all numbers matching original true 1 of *** triple black cars. I find ebay full of 1 of *** now and do not really care since I do not intend on restoring car . If I deal with him the engine will get sold off. Iwill see what it really looks like wednesday

I am going to look at a 69 triple black convertible that I am told was body worked, corrosion dipped, and painted(super straight and clear)with the utmost quality in mind. Since it is still in pieces the guy wants 20g for the pile of parts. says its all numbers matching original true 1 of *** triple black cars. I find ebay full of 1 of *** now and do not really care since I do not intend on restoring car . If I deal with him the engine will get sold off. Iwill see what it really looks like wednesday

get pictures please

Auto Transport Service
Back