• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cross Country Road Trip

Local time
11:59 AM
Reaction score
IMG_1111.JPG
IMG_1145.JPG
51131615506__6B9C318C-034D-415A-AD63-EC566B69FC42.JPG
IMG_1141.JPG
51138847522__C6DC1545-9C62-4F08-AB16-722B87C7958C.JPG
51147039765__01218672-34AF-4926-90B1-902DC9B5F0DB.JPG
51147184407__AE7B23DC-F7E4-4EF9-9935-0DD1BB6EF0F1.JPG
So I posted an add in Dec-Jan looking for a cheap set of wheels to use around the San Francisco area while I was in town. I picked up a pretty cool 1965 Chrysler 300 that fit the bill just fine( yes I know it's not a B body). The plan was to use this car while in California and take a trip home to Mississippi when my time at work was done. I didn't have any issues with the car while beating around the city.
Just a little back story. I'm Chief engineer on a container ship that runs between California and Honolulu. My ship was laid up at pier 30 in San Francisco in December and the office kept me on the payroll while the ship was idle.I took a few weeks off work to take care of things at home and will return to the ship to start it up for returning to sailing service in mid April.
I had my wife and 11 year old daughter fly out to San Francisco and we started our trek home on Wednesday 3/15. We first headed in the direction of Sequoia National park. The hot engine light came on while blasting up some mountains on the way to interstate 5. I backed off the throttle, the panic and light soon went away. Then the hot engine light came on again down by Fresno( at this point I'm wondering if I made a mistake) I pulled into Orielys and grabbed two bottles of water wetter. Adding it wasn't an issue because the radiator cap lifted in the parking lot. We took off again at a conservative pace and the hot light winked on and off until we hit elevation in the national park. At elevation the light never came on. So I decided to install a smaller set of needles in the Carter AFB to see if maybe a lean condition was the root cause of my problem. It seemed to work as we left the park and made it to Barstow, Ca before checking in for the night. The next morning was cool out and I thought the day would be better on the temps. I really didn't have any issues until we got close to Lake Havasu at which point we were reduced to 45mph on the uphills. Right around this time we jumped on Route 66 and with the slower pace and slow inclines the high temps went away. We got back onto interstate 40 in Flagstaff and ran at 70-75mph all the way to Albuquerque. Stayed the night there and got on the road again 70-75 all the way to Dallas. With a pit stop on the way In Amarillo to see the Cadillac Ranch and eat at the Big Texan. After Dallas we made good speed all the way to Shreveport, La at which point the high temps returned(low elevation) So we slowed to 60-65 and drove to Natchez, Ms by way of Alexandria, La. while in Natchez my wife made me bring her to a Steam Punk coffee shop. Not my crowd but the coffee was good. Then we made it all the way to Hattiesburg, Ms (Gods Country and home) before dark. The trip turned out to be an adventure and would jump at the chance to do it again. Just as a side note: I had lots of tools, a spare fuel pump, water pump, alternator, set of points, ballast resistor and voltage regulator in case I needed them. I didnt! Also of note:California premium gas is a joke in a 10-1 compression 383.
Follow up:I installed the smallest needle rods I owned in my carb and drove to New Orleans in it yesterday. No issues with overheating. I guess the jetting was a bit lean.

Last edited:
Sounds like you had fun& a few hair-raising experiences. My new wife&I went from Ohio to Oceanside,Ca. w/o air cond in August of '70 the day after our wedding in my '68 Bee.

I love this stuff.
When I was about 8 my family moved to Calif. from Ill.
My dad went ahead to establish our destination.

So--early sixties and I -with my six siblings and mom driving and two cats got into a 56 desoto to move west. (what sticks out in my memory is the --heat--pour water on the cats-they need it more than we do).:)
We drove the route 66 and stopped at all of the places.
An adventure of a life time for all.
Thanks for bringing that back to me.

Lol yes Rt.66, I swear the whole backseat was filled with "female" shoe boxs! But it was enjoyable though, I'm sure THE road isn't the same now.

Auto Transport Service
Back