• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cruise Control Conundrum

John Hogan

Local time
3:15 AM
Reaction score
In checking out the 1973 Road Runner I am about to start restoring I have found something odd. It is definitely a numbers matching engine and unfortunately the broadcast sheet was a crumbled mess when I removed the rear seat.
So the throttle cable bracket looks to be set up for a cruise control cable above the throttle cable. The turn signal stalk is for cruise control, but the area of the inner fender where the cruise control would go shows no sign of the area for the actuator and my research says that cars with cruise had their windshield washer bottle on the passenger side.
If it was just the turn signal lever I would guess at some point the column was changed but the throttle cable bracket throws me. Any chance Mother MOPAR used the same bracket for cruise and non-cruise in 1973 on 340's?
Somewhere someone has changed to carb from a Thermoquad to an AFB with an adapter plate but the intake itself looks original.

IMG_20220104_124615427.jpg IMG_20220104_124650466.jpg IMG_20220104_130953789.jpg

Pull the washer reservoir, maybe that's where it went.
Looks pretty original..

If it was a column swap, the wires would go to nowhere

That cruise control lever is a 74 up lever. Also-as far as I know, they only put speed control on power brake cars. Also the N88 is always on the fender tag. That throttle cable clamp was used on a lot of different cc equipped cars, mostly C Bodies, could have came from anywhere. Did your car have power brakes originally. That is also a drum brake master cylinder. Show us the fender tag. Does the car have disc brakes?

Here is the speedo cable to the cruise unit, where does it go and where is the other one.

you could get cruise on a power drum brake car, but yes they need to have power brakes with cruise.

935E6AED-DF25-475E-B52D-3DB479D8ACEC.jpeg

That cruise control lever is a 74 up lever. Also-as far as I know, they only put speed control on power brake cars. Also the N88 is always on the fender tag. That throttle cable clamp was used on a lot of different cc equipped cars, mostly C Bodies, could have came from anywhere. Did your car have power brakes originally. That is also a drum brake master cylinder. Show us the fender tag. Does the car have disc brakes?
It does have disc brakes. There is no N88 on the fender tag.

IMG_20211129_170127866.jpg

Here is the speedo cable to the cruise unit, where does it go and where is the other one.

you could get cruise on a power drum brake car, but yes they need to have power brakes with cruise.

View attachment 1222418
Actually it looks like a speedo cable in the pic but it is a really unusual push on wiring connector that is part of the factory loom. It is just kind on hanging out in that area. I will try to take a better picture of the connector and post it tomorrow.

The N88 code should be there.. It's the wrong switch... It's missing the bracket that supports the cable that bolts to the right side of the master cylinder.... Back in the 90's I personally added CC to four cars & I knew of dozens of other added systems.... We drove the cars & adding options was common..

The N88 code should be there.. It's the wrong switch... It's missing the bracket that supports the cable that bolts to the right side of the master cylinder.... Back in the 90's I personally added CC to four cars & I knew of dozens of other added systems.... We drove the cars & adding options was common..
Thanks all for the input! To answer some of the comments see the pics . The item that appears to be a speedo cable is an unusual wire connector. There is a bracket bolted to the two left bolts of the master cylinder but it is only holding the wiring loom. Guess once I start tearing the car down I will see if the wiring from the turn signal is connected to anything!

IMG_20220112_082903306.jpg IMG_20220112_082932633.jpg IMG_20220112_082958860.jpg IMG_20220112_083255797.jpg

Sorry-I didn't see the power booster. But it does have the wrong master cylinder for disc brakes.

Auto Transport Service
Back