• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cruise control for carbureted engine

old guys rule

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:44 PM
Reaction score
Anyone out there no anything about cruise control systems for a carbureted engine?

Very little. My Dad and I added a rather primitive aftermarket cruise control to his 1970 Thunderbird. I think I remember a chain type linkage from the cruise control to the throttle linkage that just pulled on the throttle with vacuum. It was primitive. When it needed to get back up to speed after a brake tap, for instance, it would pull full throttle open to get there! That was always exciting. It was far better to bring the car up to speed and then engage. Less drama.

Borg Warner used to make a universal kit. It worked well and used magnets on the driveshaft to pick up the speed.

The 76 Charger and 78 Dodge truck I had both had Carburetors and Cruise. Both worked flawlessly using vacuum operation. Touching the brake kicked it off and the resume button turned it back on and it went back to the set speed smooth and easy. No different than the new cars.

I have installed a "Universal Cruise Control System by Rostra" onto an old '80 F-150 and also a 2006 Yamaha Stratoliner motorcycle. It's a universal set up and very adaptable. They sell several means of controlling and getting speed pulse fed to system. In both install cases the cruise control worked perfect. I have one setting in a box right now waiting to go on my '74 Charger SE. Don't know how much distance driving I'll do but want to be equipped if I decide to. Know what I mean???? :D:D

While my base 2005 Silverado was not carbed. I did install an aftermarket kit on it because I had to drive out to Katy Tx and didn't feel like holding the pedal the entire way. The only real problem I found with it was that it was not consistent. But the problem was I believe I should have used the ring on the drive shaft and the pickup instead of the wire feeding the speedometer. I picked the kit up at a yard sale for 10 bucks. For what its worth it was not bad just fluctuated in speed 5 or 10 miles per hour.

Auto Transport Service
Back