• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cummins agrees to pay California 1.6 BILLION in fines

QuickBpBp

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:34 AM
Reaction score
Seems a new diesel Dodge will cost EVEN more now. I bet the fires in California alone did more damage.

The U.S. Justice Department has accused truck engine manufacturer Cummins of sneaking software onto trucks that bypass emissions controls, including pollution sensors, in violation of the Clean Air Act.

“Violations of our environmental laws have a tangible impact,” Attorney General Merrick Garland said in a statement. “They inflict real harm on people in communities across the country.”

To settle these claims, Cummins has agreed to pay $1.6 billion to the state of California.
MSN

Has anyone even come close to figuring out what the actual infraction is? Ive seen only speculation. Must have been a whopper for the billions they are paying out. How does a company recover from that much? Surely that several year’s profit?

The war on engines that can run on multiple fuels continues.
The people in charge hate the idea you can take an old one and get it to run on canola oil if you want. How do they squash personal travel if they can't control the fuel supply?
EV is easy, they just push a button and turn you off. Gas is OK, hard to make most engines run on anything they can;t control with a pipeline.
But engines that run on cooking oil? How do you shut that down?

This is how.

Edit:
This action by commifornia makes me want to own a "coal burner" even more then before.

Has anyone even come close to figuring out what the actual infraction is? Ive seen only speculation. Must have been a whopper for the billions they are paying out. How does a company recover from that much? Surely that several year’s profit?
It will be passed on to consumers... This is the times we live in and I will leave it there as anything else will end up moving this post to the PF section.

Ridiculous. The Department Of Injustice at its worst.

:rolleyes:
Bingo Eddy from Vacation.gif

Funny thing is, Cummins doesn’t program the ecm’s, Ram does.

The war on engines that can run on multiple fuels continues
I want my old M35A2 deuce and a half back. That engine actually DID run on multiple fuels. Hercules multi fuel turbo six. Gas. Diesel. Used motor oil. JP8. Heating oil. If it was liquid, and flammable...toss it in the tank!

The manual said run at least 1gal UMO in every 50 gal tank, to lubricate the pumps. I used to also add 1 gal citronella in the summer, to keep bugs away while I was clearing land and stuff.

The manual said run at least 1gal UMO in every 50 gal tank, to lubricate the pumps. I used to also add 1 gal citronella in the summer, to keep bugs away while I was clearing land and stuff.
Cruise around my neighborhood any time! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

They need to get the money from somewhere to pay for all the …. oops wait i mean clean air!!

I don't know what they've made recently, but their 2022 profits were over $2.2 billion after paying out over $1 billion in dividends on shares. That was from over $28 billion in yearly revenues. If they go into negative numbers they'll also get more tax advantages.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back