• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cummins swap wagon

bigowhiteboy

Local time
2:17 AM
Reaction score
I've searched to no avail, both here and the web, for info on swapping a cummins into a 68 Coronet wagon. I know it has been done but just can't find much on it.
Most likely and probably the easiest would be the first generation cummins. I'm looking for any insight into motor mounts, transmission compatibility, fuel tank requirements, drive shaft, etc.
A daily driver diesel mopar wagon would be awesome. The car now has a shot 318 and auto transmission I will be removing soon. I have a 440 sitting in the shop but would rather have a cummins with some decent torque and good mpg's

are you going to use a 4BT? Fuel tank requirements depend on what vintage engine you pick and mostly in filtering...

The brand new stuff requires ultra low sulfer and 8 micron tank filtering (or at least that is what Cummins says). I'd recommend putting an Allison trans behind it, lots of options from them that bolt to the flywheel housings. In the interest of staying cheap just find an old bread truck and swap the drive train over

From what I understand the 440 and 4bt are about the same weight, whereas the 6bt is about 200 lbs heavier.

If this gets accomplished this will be a Awesome Project! I am excited just thinking about it.

It would definitely be something Ya don't see every day. I don't think it would be very practical or desirable for driving, though. The noise, smell, heat, and headaches involved to do a proper install, would deter me. ....but I'm kinda lazy.

My Durango with a 4BT Gets 24-25 on the highway running 70 MPH. Putting it in an older vehicle would definitely be easier as it was a pita to get all the factory gauges to work. Have to lie to the ECM. You will probably have to add some weight in the *** to get it to handle well. I had to add better than 100 pounds in the rear to get mine to handle decent. When the roads were wet/slick it was downright dangerous to drive. The engine is pretty tall you may want to consider a custom K member to keep decent oil pan volume. PM me if you want my number if you have questions. I prefer talking to typing.
Mark

I've searched to no avail, both here and the web, for info on swapping a cummins into a 68 Coronet wagon. I know it has been done but just can't find much on it.
Most likely and probably the easiest would be the first generation cummins. I'm looking for any insight into motor mounts, transmission compatibility, fuel tank requirements, drive shaft, etc.
A daily driver diesel mopar wagon would be awesome. The car now has a shot 318 and auto transmission I will be removing soon. I have a 440 sitting in the shop but would rather have a cummins with some decent torque and good mpg's

Just last weekend a guy was here with a 68 Plymouth wagon with the 4bt? In it,sounded like a lawnmower,he said it got like 34mpg.
I have a pic or two and a short video.

Just last weekend a guy was here with a 68 Plymouth wagon with the 4bt? In it,sounded like a lawnmower,he said it got like 34mpg.
I have a pic or two and a short video.
Well, Post it up. No one likes a tease

Well, Post it up. No one likes a tease

Can I post a video right from my phone here?

Image.jpg

Check this guys videos. Be careful of what engine you buy. The 96' through 99's had bad blocks. The casting where thin and leaked coolant. Do some research before you buy. what you want to do is not impossible. Go for it !

Auto Transport Service
Back