• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Custom aluminum hood hinges for a Hellcat Dart

Meep-Meep

дворянин
Local time
2:29 AM
Reaction score
Yeah, it's been a while since I checked into this motel room and happy to see some of the same characters from way back. I've been quite busy with multiple things including moving, moving my business (twice) and car jobs for other people. You know what they say about the shoe maker.

Here are some photos of work I did on a black Hellcat powered Dart owned by a local guy. I know, it's an A body, but I had a stronger connection here at FBBO than FABO. This is really showing part of what I've been up to the last few years. I've been helping out a local hot rod shop called Motovisions, and while I'm not full time, they pull me in for MoPar work (of course), tranny, engine, diff work and fabrication. When the shop owner said no one makes aluminum hinges for a Dart, but the customer wants aluminum hinges, yours truly gets the job. My buddy has a CNC but since I'm not going into production I decided to go all manual. It was a complicated job but came out well the first time. Customer is happy and of course I should have charged more. Material is 7075 so that means "removeal only." No bending or welding. I chose 7075 because of the strength. Could I have used 6061? Probably. But when you are hired to make one off hood hinges for a custom car that the owner likely put a half mil into, you don't want to be THE GUY who made hood hinges that folded up or broke as the owner closes the hood at a car show. I'm happy to report that despite the forces involved (we all saw the A body hinges flex), these don't flex one bit. I retained the original clock spring citing that it's still in great shape after many years. Gas struts would just require taking the fender off to replace (like who wants to do that?) so I kept it simple and relaibale.

2022-04-17 13.15.03 (Large).jpg

2022-04-17 15.55.58.jpg

2022-04-24 10.34.57 (Large).jpg

2022-06-11 17.06.29.jpg

2022-06-25 17.55.02 (Large).jpg

2022-06-28 18.44.39 (Large).jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back