• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Custom Shift Knobs

I made a couple pistol grip knobs for my ratchet shifters... but they are not in the same universe as Hey-O's!

They work fine for me though.
It's just carving for fun. It's made out of mahogany, soft and easy to work with. I made a ton of furniture out of mahogany over the years. The trick is getting the threads tilted at the right angle so the grip fits like a gun in your hand. Never got it perfect like a factory shifter with one piece of flat stock through the center with two halves of wood. I couldn't make it thinner because of the female threaded insert which is 1/2" rod drilled and tapped three inches long for strength. It was made to match this steering wheel for a different car I built years ago. It's coming back off and I'm installing a whole new American shift kit with an old school hurst knob. Thanks!!.... Ulli
20180404_183235.jpg
20180409_152248.jpg
20180409_152341.jpg
20180409_152415.jpg
20180425_162741.jpg

It's just carving for fun. It's made out of mahogany, soft and easy to work with. I made a ton of furniture out of mahogany over the years. The trick is getting the threads tilted at the right angle so the grip fits like a gun in your hand. Never got it perfect like a factory shifter with one piece of flat stock through the center with two halves of wood. I couldn't make it thinner because of the female threaded insert which is 1/2" rod drilled and tapped three inches long for strength. It was made to match this steering wheel for a different car I built years ago. It's coming back off and I'm installing a whole new American shift kit with an old school hurst knob. Thanks!!.... Ulli
View attachment 1575596 View attachment 1575597View attachment 1575598View attachment 1575599View attachment 1575600
I made mine out of scrap aluminum from work. One car needed the shifter a bit higher, the pistol grip handled that problem. That one got drilled at a convenient angle. The other one I put a momentary switch in, currently for a line lock. But it might end up getting used for a transbrake, or nitrous system.
And I had a wood-jawed vise just like Hey-Ohs' for about thirty years, at work.

20181125_092606.jpg

20181125_093423.jpg

20181125_092939.jpg

Last edited:
I made mine out of scrap aluminum from work. One car needed the shifter a bit higher, the pistol grip handled that problem. That one got drilled at a convenient angle. The other one I put a momentary switch in, currently for a line lock. But it might end up getting used for a transbrake, or nitrous system.
I've worked with aluminum, by hand, no mill or other equipment. It's soft and can be cut to a rough shape with a bandsaw and shaped with a dremal tool, which I have and used on those tight spots and turns. It sounds like you put a lot of thought into it. That's what matters the most to me anyway!!

Last edited:

View attachment 1575631

View attachment 1575632

View attachment 1575633
Hey, that looks great!! I had several cars that I used gear vendor overdrive unit that used a button like that, but also came with the old style dimmer switch for the floor. Made it easier for me, instead of trying to hide the wires running down the whole length of the shifter.

Auto Transport Service
Back