• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cutting inner fenders ?????

mcv

Local time
7:44 PM
Reaction score
Hey y'all need some info. I have a 1967 Plymouth belvedere 1. Car has a full cage with front tubes welded to the frame rails. The original inner fenders are rusted and in really bad shape. I am going to do removable inners. What is the easiest way to cut them out and brace the shock mount? Does anyone have any pics of b-bodies that they have done this to?

"easiest"is blow them out with a torch or plasma cutter. Neat and clean is a whole other subject !!

Could use a death wheel where possible. How far away from the shock tower are the front braces? Got a pic?

I am going to keep the top ledge (I guess that you call it) where the trim tag is. If I am going to cut it I figure i would see how other handled the upper control / shock mount

PXL_20230112_200642739.jpg

I am going to keep the top ledge (I guess that you call it) where the trim tag is. If I am going to cut it I figure i would see how other handled the upper control / shock mount

View attachment 1401092
I've seen the shock tower done both ways.....cut it along the edge of the sheet metal taking the ST flange off but if you want to ever go back with new inner fenders, cut along the ST flange. You can dress the old sheet off the flange or grind the welds. Then take a couple pieces of 1/8" plate and shape it to fit the bar and the ST edge or overlap the flange. I've seen them that way.

Had a car without the inner fenders and didn't even have front bars or the shock tower tied to anything except for the frame rail. That car (68 rr) ran 10.68 consistently. It wasn't weird to drive at all with a shaky front end lol. You would never know it was done that way just by driving it but once up on jack stands with the stands placed under the frame rails behind the firewall, you could go to one fender (steel) and shake the front end. The top edge of the inner fenders were left on it too.

I plan on adding a down bar on each side by the firewall, just for a little more strength.... I appreciate the info.

I cut the front halfs out on my 64. Same engine compartment. Drill the spot welds at the shock towers. Then cut right below the radius with a cut off wheel. You can fab ne lower pieces pretty easy.
Doug

B93.jpg

B94.jpg

B96.jpg

P17.jpg

DVW that looks great! Thanks for the pics . Gives me some more ideas.

Auto Transport Service
Back