• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cutting into Hood

Joe Mopar

Local time
2:35 PM
Reaction score
Looks like the 14" Edelbrock Air Cleaner that I will be using the way the engine is set up will encroach beyond the hood about 1"+-. I do have a hood scoop to install, but have a couple of questions to those of you that have traveled down this path before.

1. How much bigger than the 14" circumference of the air cleaner should the opening be cut to allow for sufficient air flow?

2. In cutting the hood hopefully won't have to cut into any reinforcing struts under the hood.......but if you need to how badly does it compromise the hood if any?

Does anyone have any pics. of doing this process to their hood that they could post?

Thanks,
Joe

just make the hole big enough for the cleaner to fit through, airflow will not be an issue .... as far as cutting through any supports, the hood strength will not be compromised .... are you using factory or glass hood ? i will post pics when i get a chance

hey joe. i had to cut into my hood reinforcements for my scoop on my charger in signature pic. it did not affect anything. hood is still strong as hell. when you put your scoop on though one thing you wanna do is anchor down the front of the scoop some how so the air dont try to pull your scoop up. you will be fine if you have to cut into one of the reinforcements. i just cut into one tho. make sure you get your hood marked though where the cleaner is.

hey joe. i had to cut into my hood reinforcements for my scoop on my charger in signature pic. it did not affect anything. hood is still strong as hell. when you put your scoop on though one thing you wanna do is anchor down the front of the scoop some how so the air dont try to pull your scoop up. you will be fine if you have to cut into one of the reinforcements. i just cut into one tho. make sure you get your hood marked though where the cleaner is.

:yes:

just make the hole big enough for the cleaner to fit through, airflow will not be an issue .... as far as cutting through any supports, the hood strength will not be compromised .... are you using factory or glass hood ? i will post pics when i get a chance

I'm using the factory hood.

Thanks for the responses.

Mission Accomplished

Today I cut through the hood for the air cleaner. Measured 3 times and cut once :grin:. Also drilled the holes for the scoop.

Although I have to look up another thread about what kind of adhesive to use between hood sheet metal and the reinforcing members on hood as I spotted where it was starting to come loose.

Aircleanerholeinhood001.jpg
[/IMG]

Aircleanerholeinhood002.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Looks like a nice clean cut. The Max Wedge scoop is going to look good on the 440

Auto Transport Service
Back