• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

cylinder heads with HP manifolds

fk5dave

Local time
7:05 AM
Reaction score
hi guys. i am looking into some new cylinder heads since the 440source heads failed me. machine shop said the valve guides wore out and some of them broke off on the top. at the time the money was an issue so i went with them but now i am looking into USA made. the problem is that trickflow, indy, and edelbrock all have angled spark plugs and from what i understand the HP manifolds will not clear the angled plugs. i know i leaving HP on the table with HP manifolds but they are so reliable with the no leaks or trouble. anybody else ran into this trouble? i have a .582 solid roller cam, 850 mighty demon carb, torker 2 intake, etc etc. making good power. i would like to stick with HP manifolds but if i have to go to a good header like TTI i guess i will have to. anybody have any suggestions?

i'd recommend headers with that engine combo. headers will free you up on head choices. I use 2" tti's with edelbrock rpms and plug changes and plug clearance are exceptional.

I use Performer RPM cylinder heads no problems with HP manifold...
air cleaner 001.JPG

Max Wedge Victors with Original Max Wedge Exhaust Manifolds and original '64 Stage 3 intake

IMG_3158.JPG IMG_3254.JPG IMG_3256.JPG

Just use spark plugs blankets for the last two passenger side spark plugs..

IMG_0003[1].JPG

Failed guides and breaking off the top. Improper rocker arm geometry could be imposing side load on valve stem causing premature guide wear.

Failed guides and breaking off the top. Improper rocker arm geometry could be imposing side load on valve stem causing premature guide wear.
I was thinking about that too. How can it be adjusted though if the rocker shaft is in a fixed location. I sharpied the valve stem, bolted down the rocker shafts, used my pushrod checker tool and calculated a length with the proper lash (solid cam) and went with it. They are Harland Sharp roller shaft/roller tip rocker arms. Anything I am missing? Thanks for the input

hi guys. i am looking into some new cylinder heads since the 440source heads failed me. machine shop said the valve guides wore out and some of them broke off on the top. at the time the money was an issue so i went with them but now i am looking into USA made.

How long have the "source" heads been in use?

I was thinking about that too. How can it be adjusted though if the rocker shaft is in a fixed location. I sharpied the valve stem, bolted down the rocker shafts, used my pushrod checker tool and calculated a length with the proper lash (solid cam) and went with it. They are Harland Sharp roller shaft/roller tip rocker arms. Anything I am missing? Thanks for the input
How? Go here and read up on rocker arm geometry and how to correct it.............

http://www.b3racingengines.com/

It seems as if the angle of the spark plug tips towards each other would give you more clearance than even the stock plugs have. They point AWAY from the exhaust passages in the head and manifold. I used Jegs/Patriot headers on my Performer RPM heads, and they cleared really good, other than having to make a couple of small dimples in the header pipes for additional plug boot clearance.

Auto Transport Service
Back