• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Damaged filler neck

ladd69

Local time
9:35 PM
Reaction score
Dropped the fueltank today om my charger -69 to replace the sending unit and leaking gaskets.
I Also have a leak on the filler neck, a tiny hole, looks like Someone stabbed it With a screwdriver.
the hole is one inch above the trunk floor So when i fill up i always get som gas in the trunk.

took out the neck and it feels really soft, what kind of metall is this ?
is it worth trying to weld it ?

thanks/ John

Weld it up, or take it to a welding shop and have it welded. It is probably just galvanized steel.

I Will probably try to fix it before i replace,
thanks for all input, i ll need to consider

If it’s small enough, drill it out and install a solid pop rivet with a little sealant

Are the repro ones chromed?

183-FT6870X-1.jpg

Tried to weld the neck with MMA without succes to my low welding experience and thin material.
took it to a friend, he fixed it with the MIG.

new sending unit is in, tank is up, some color on the neck and then fill her up!

Thanks!

ABE847E2-B347-4689-92A6-2B0B3E30E8C7.jpeg

Are the repro ones chromed?

View attachment 1391115
The original ones were fire-leaded. But the repros are zinc plated. I found this out when I wanted to re-galvanize my original and strange colors appeared on the surface. I knew then that it was lead. this is no longer done today because of the environment and health. Maybe I could help you.

Very old remedy, over 100 years old.
1966 my friend came to visit with his parents first new car, a 1965 Chevrolet . He took the old ford across the river, that had been there since about 1900. Got to our place, and my Father noticed fuel leaking from the gas tank, must have picked up a stone crossing the ford. Dad said don‘t worry. He got a piece of supple leather, Elk skin, cut a small round patch. Rubbed the patch well with hand soap on the tank side. Screwed a sheet metal screw in and (Bob’s Your Uncle) it never leaked All the time he owned the car.

The original ones were fire-leaded. But the repros are zinc plated. I found this out when I wanted to re-galvanize my original and strange colors appeared on the surface. I knew then that it was lead. this is no longer done today because of the environment and health. Maybe I could help you.
Yes thank you, thats some intresting info

Very old remedy, over 100 years old.
1966 my friend came to visit with his parents first new car, a 1965 Chevrolet . He took the old ford across the river, that had been there since about 1900. Got to our place, and my Father noticed fuel leaking from the gas tank, must have picked up a stone crossing the ford. Dad said don‘t worry. He got a piece of supple leather, Elk skin, cut a small round patch. Rubbed the patch well with hand soap on the tank side. Screwed a sheet metal screw in and (Bob’s Your Uncle) it never leaked All the time he owned the car.
OT
When Staying out of town in a hotell one night, some one stabbed my plastic tank on my 90` Volvo to steal gas.
noticed it when filling up on a gasstation,got gas on my shoes, me And my girlfriend took 10 chewinggums each and started chewing, then Pressed the gum in the hole, it whent Bone dry.
but probably not a long term fix

OT
When Staying out of town in a hotell one night, some one stabbed my plastic tank on my 90` Volvo to steal gas.
noticed it when filling up on a gasstation,got gas on my shoes, me And my girlfriend took 10 chewinggums each and started chewing, then Pressed the gum in the hole, it whent Bone dry.
but probably not a long term fix
Gas will dissolve gum. Blew a huge bubble gum bubble sister popped it. It was in my hair covered eyes ears, what a mess. My mother got out lighter fluid to remove it. Petroleum distillates will desolve gum.

Auto Transport Service
Back