• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dana 60 build ?

A factory 9" won't take anywhere near to what a stock Dana 60. Now when a 9" is properly modified that a different story.
A stock Dana 60 will take over 800hp easy.
Doug

A factory 9" won't take anywhere near to what a stock Dana 60. Now when a 9" is properly modified that a different story.
Doug
Yup....and how much does it cost to bring a 9" into the 800 range? Years ago I weighed a Dana against an 8 3/4 that was set up very similar with a spool, brakes and aftermarket axles etc and it was right at 48 lbs more. The Dana was B body width and the 8 3/4 was from an E body. It's been a few years since picking up old truck housings but they weren't very expensive. Now it seems everyone wants a 9 and the prices reflect that but around 20 years ago I picked up 2 dozen Ford '501' Dana 60 housings for dirt cheap. The tubes are a bit smaller at 2 3/4" diameter but are still 1/4" thick and are plenty good for high performance use and came set up for semi floating axles.

Anyone running a Dana 60 in a
1962 to 1965
B Body
What posi unit are you running trac lok or true trac ?
Gear set up, axle brand, spline count.
my '63 plymouth came with 1...had 5.13 spool in it but changed it over to 4.56 with a Detroit locker..35 spline strange axles..chrome cover..wildwood 4 piston brakes..wanted a carrier that would not burn out(posi)and be street friendly and act like a spool under power without dragging a tire thru parking lot turns(spool)..

Btw, I wouldn't run a Trac Lok in anything if I had the choice. The Power Loc is readily available and is a much better LS unit.

i have dana 60 s in both my cars my 62 savoy 2 dr sedan has a 68 rr rear 410 s and my 67 plymouth belvedere 1 has a dana 60 from a 74 ford e100 old telephone van that had 410 s in it was a score then my friend set it up with spring perches and 8 3/4 ends only thing missing is the snubber dana 60 look great and are way strong for all applications mopar joe

A 9 inch in stock form is not as good as a dana 60 if 9 inch built rite would cost more.
Both good points, but.....a braced 9" has the strength of the Dana, the ease of changing gear ratio of the 8-3/4 and more gear ratio and brake choices than the 8-3/4 and Dana combined. It is truly a better, more versatile rear end for racing. Having blind brand loyalty in this day and age is just self limiting.

Doug
I'm at 1000fwhp and 4070lbs with a stock 3.73 geared dana 60. Just aftermarket axles and brakes. My new car will be twice that power at 3600lbs. A stock dana would just be foolish.

Both good points, but.....a braced 9" has the strength of the Dana, the ease of changing gear ratio of the 8-3/4 and more gear ratio and brake choices than the 8-3/4 and Dana combined. It is truly a better, more versatile rear end for racing. Having blind brand loyalty in this day and age is just self limiting.
Yeah still dont case and front support either

In any case,
GREAT question from the OP
Great post
Currie and Dr. Diff build "wicked-awesome" 8 3/4' rears
I know my DANA 60 is a $2K unit
Grabbing an OLD DANA or from a F-350 is a G-R-E-A-T option.....
HUH?
Oh boy, running a DANA in a FORD ??
OH MY WORD!
That's a NO NO?

My CARS.
My option to run a FORD or DANA or 8 3/4"
As long as it isn't a CHEVY

I suppose "some" on the Forum can't get over that FORD builds / built FAST CARS at one time or another
Get over it

Couple of questions. (1)When you guys cut the truck Danas down did you use the big Ford ends and bearings? (2)What effect do the different spline counts make. Any more desirable? Thanks

Why is there any more "ease of changing ratios in a 9"? You have to set up both ratios to start with for either axle. Set up the 2nd ratio for the Dana as well. Then keep the shim packs and bearings on the spool. Either axle requires removal of brakes, axles driveshaft, and fluid drain. Then its either install a prebuilt $1500+ spare carrier in the 9". Or pull the bearing caps, pop out the spool, remove the yoke and pinion and install the previously set-up ring and pinion. Less than 1/2 the cost in parts. At worst you may have to swap the pinion shim behind the race. I'll bet there isn't 30 minutes difference max. I'm not against using a 9". But in most cases the cost is far greater for not a whole lot extra benefit.
Doug

Couple of questions. (1)When you guys cut the truck Danas down did you use the big Ford ends and bearings? (2)What effect do the different spline counts make. Any more desirable? Thanks

Yeah,
That is a great question...
Hoping someone will answer...

Here is a treasure trove of Dana 60 info as well as the 30's, 44's, etc. Dana 60 was used by 6 or 7 motor companies over certain year periods and this is a great pc. of information. The weld on ends for bearing conversion etc. can be obtained at several suppliers like Mark Williams , Moser, Dr. Diff, Strange and prob. at Summit/Jegs. See if I can get this correct this time. dana-44_1967-1978.pd

Yeah,
That is a great question...
Hoping someone will answer...
You can use what ever ends you want. One of ours has Ford ends from Strange. The other has ends cut off a scrap 8 3/4.
Doug

Just throwing this out there, there was a brand new S-60 conplete set up on CL, I think it the DFW area for $1200, I believe it was set up for a Mopar...its been a few weeks since I was on there

Why is there any more "ease of changing ratios in a 9"? You have to set up both ratios to start with for either axle. Set up the 2nd ratio for the Dana as well. Then keep the shim packs and bearings on the spool. Either axle requires removal of brakes, axles driveshaft, and fluid drain. Then its either install a prebuilt $1500+ spare carrier in the 9". Or pull the bearing caps, pop out the spool, remove the yoke and pinion and install the previously set-up ring and pinion. Less than 1/2 the cost in parts. At worst you may have to swap the pinion shim behind the race. I'll bet there isn't 30 minutes difference max. I'm not against using a 9". But in most cases the cost is far greater for not a whole lot extra benefit.
Doug
I totally get what your saying...I think the difference is your comfortable in swapping out gearsets and resetting the backlash with the Dana whereas myself and a few others may not be comfortable to do that ourselves. I'm pretty sure I could do it but would always be wondering if I somehow messed it up...

I totally get what your saying...I think the difference is your comfortable in swapping out gearsets and resetting the backlash with the Dana whereas myself and a few others may not be comfortable to do that ourselves. I'm pretty sure I could do it but would always be wondering if I somehow messed it up...
Once it's set-up it's a bolt in. Just R&R, backlash will be preset. The Ford needs intial set-up as well.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back