• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dana 60 noise

Good luck...as I stated in your other thread though I don't think it's a fluid problem. Your clutches are starting to bind up. A little 'chatter' going around turns is okay, usually from a more aggressive preload setup on the clutch plates, but pops/snaps/bangs are not, especially if the noise just started. Been there done that....more than once. I sincerely hope you find something catching or binding in the suspension components, but your symptoms are all too familiar. In your other thread you also stated it's the 'stock Dana'; does that mean the diff unit is going on 50 years? In that case it's probably past due for a rebuild anyway..

Oh, when I said “stock” I meant no spool or any other fancy thing. I’m making a big assumption when I say this, but I’m assuming the rear end was rebuilt when the car was restored 8-10 years ago. But I don’t know what I don’t know.

I did pull the driver side leaf spring off yesterday and used proper poly bushings lube and lubed the hell out of the bushings this time.

But car is still making noise, no banging or poppping, just the chattering sound. Going to drive the car today and hopefully noise sorts itself out. If not, rebuild time I guess

Good luck...as I stated in your other thread though I don't think it's a fluid problem. Your clutches are starting to bind up. A little 'chatter' going around turns is okay, usually from a more aggressive preload setup on the clutch plates, but pops/snaps/bangs are not, especially if the noise just started. Been there done that....more than once. I sincerely hope you find something catching or binding in the suspension components, but your symptoms are all too familiar. In your other thread you also stated it's the 'stock Dana'; does that mean the diff unit is going on 50 years? In that case it's probably past due for a rebuild anyway..

Drive it. Find an empty parking lot and do figure 8’s.

So after more investigative work and driving in figure 8s and circles, it looks like I was wrong. Had my wife stand outside the car and she said the noise is coming from right side as I’m turning left. So when the right spring is compressing. Time to take that spring off and drown the poly bushings in proper poly lube and see what happens.

Issue discovered. Drive shaft is rubbing on safety loop. Hopefully easy adjustment fix.

Just notch the shaft, it’ll be fine! Lol!!

Auto Transport Service
Back