• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dana 60

mala

Local time
2:36 PM
Reaction score
I have newly built D60 that howl on highway, it start at 60 mph when coast. When accelerating or decelerating its more or less silent.

Background: I set up gears with B/L 0.10 and use 80W-90 oil. It was dead silent in every rpm from start.

Is it possible the B/L has increases now when all new parts has som run time? (street&strip)

What should be my choice here? Thicker oil?

Thanks

I like to set my backlash on a D60 around .008-.010. A cause of your noise is probably due to the depth of the pinion gear into the ring gear.

[[[What should be my choice here? Thicker oil?]]]

Thicker oil with bananas and sawdust.

Take it apart and redo it.

What brand gears and what ratio? Not that it matters now. If it was truly quiet when first done and now noisy something has changed. Better get that cover off and see what has changed. Is it a newer housing with side adjusters or the old shim style? Most of the time if it is a gear problem the damage is done and you may not ever get it quiet.

How did you determine the pinion depth to start with? What did the pattern look like?
Doug

I use a power drill and had press on ring gear.

Photo

618A92FE-3FB9-4723-9707-AEF735677806.jpeg

DD36EB1D-BB78-41C8-B9D2-39B57755D486.jpeg

[[[What should be my choice here? Thicker oil?]]]

Thicker oil with bananas and sawdust.
Banana  peels was what I was taught. The sawdust was last resort.

Check your pinion to see if there's any in and out slack....probably won't be much but also checking to see if it has more rotation (more backlash) can also tell a story. Had a D60 with snug shims on the pinion (normal fit) but the radii on the pinion was larger than normal and the shims didn't fit very well and only found out after a run in and had to break it all back down again. I now check that sort of thing. With parts coming for all over the freaking globe these days, you have to check every little detail and yes, they make shims that have a bit larger bore for that kind of crap but it also makes it harder to keep the shims centered.

I measure the B/L and now its .011. I check over ring gear and cap bolts, all fine. Oil has no debris or metal flakes and looks as new.

I check have to check the in & out slack on the pinion tomorrow.

Mmmm! Yes, I know exactly what You mean about those crap shims..... :BangHead:

A2A41DB0-8094-4B02-B63D-FACE91C610DB.jpeg

I measure the B/L and now its .011. I check over ring gear and cap bolts, all fine. Oil has no debris or metal flakes and looks as new.

I check have to check the in & out slack on the pinion tomorrow.

Mmmm! Yes, I know exactly what You mean about those crap shims..... :BangHead:

View attachment 1494513
The last set of new shims I got even had a sharp edge on the ID like the stamps were slightly dull....you could feel it on the face of the shim as you dragged your finger across and off of the edge and could measure it getting .0005 difference from the inner to the outer part of the shim. BTW, how loud is the howl and what brand of gears are they? I have a set of Motives in my D70 that have a very slight whine starting at 55 and goes away at 65. Thing is, that's about my normal speed in that truck. It's quiet everywhere else no matter if I'm on the throttle or not. I'm living with it and so far it's not getting any louder. Had a 90 V6 Dakota that did the same thing and it was new. Tech said it's not loud enough to mess with it and yeah, had to listen to hear it. It had over 100k miles on it before the oldest totaled it.

How did you determine the pinion depth to start with? What did the pattern look like?
Doug
In this case both gears were from same manufacture so I just check the pinion depth on both and measure the old shimstack. If I remember right I hade to add .003 shim for the new pinion.

If the gears were set up incorrectly when new they have broken in incorrectly now and will howl.

Even if you correct the pattern, reset the backlash etc.....they will still howl because they are already broken in incorrectly and have their wear pattern set. Quality new gears, set up correctly will fix the problem.

Ask me how I know......:rolleyes:

In this case both gears were from same manufacture so I just check the pinion depth on both and measure the old shimstack. If I remember right I hade to add .003 shim for the new pinion.
What's the brand name of the gears?

What's the brand name of the gears?

Spicer (Dana) I'm usually have luck with Spicer, but this time I must have done something wrong...
Gear pattern looks ok to me and I can not find any obvious errors. Spicer specs B/L to .006-.010 and I have .011 maybe that's the problem?

I’d shoot for .008. But as mentioned already, the gears have mated, I doubt you’ll ever get rid of the noise.

Auto Transport Service
Back