• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

dash cluster not lighting

CandianRunner69

Local time
7:28 PM
Reaction score
I'll try to keep this a short but detailed as possible. I have a 69 Road Runner. I just restored my wiper pivots. I ended up going through the dash for this. I removed the lower switch panel, lower dash pad and gauge cluster. While it was out I freshened up the lower switch bezel and replaced some dash bulbs. Can honestly say there is 50 years of patch work under there.

Reinstalled the cluster today with the lower switch panel to check and see if all is good with wipers and everything else.

Wipers work great... but.. i have a few gremlins that popped up.
- I no longer have dash lights. including the dash signals, and Tach light.
- Parking lights are also out... but head lights are good, along with signals outside
- Also have no heater fan now.
Wiring is my weak area... need some help.... any thoughts would be appreciated

Make sure you did not poke a fuse or two out. Do not say they look ok. Test them with a test light, voltmeter, or ohm meter. You need to have park lights for the dash lights to work.

This has happened to me a couple time. Once a fuse, parking lights and dash are connected. The second was a bad connection I back of fuse box under dash. I'd suggest checking the fuse then seeing if the wire to the back of the fuse box is loose.

This has happened to me a couple time. Once a fuse, parking lights and dash are connected. The second was a bad connection I back of fuse box under dash. I'd suggest checking the fuse then seeing if the wire to the back of the fuse box is loose.
Thanks for the tip... I'll check that out tonight.... Thanks again

ok, I have an update on this issue... I was hoping it was resolved by now... but.....
I have the heater fan working now... I checked fuses... there was a 20a blown which I replaced... after heater fan was working. I ran a ground wire from circuit board mounting screw to the steering column bracket... also connected a open single tab (thinking back it was never connected to anything). Still have no cluster lights or parking lights...

Are the ammeter wires on drivers side of dash specific to a post.. Old patch work has both wires blue... I'm at a loss here... and very frustrated... lol

Any thoughts gents..... new wiring harness is not in the budget...

Fix the parking lights first. You need them working in order for the cluster lights to operate. Get the wiring diagram from the FSM and follow it out.

Update on the dash lights.... First off... all fixed and working...

Couple things I did since the last update...
1. Cleaned up the dimmer switch which gave me the cluster light... still had no signal lights.
2. Ran a new cluster ground wire with quick disconnect to steering column bracket.
3. Installed all new bulbs...

Everything is lit, and bright.

Thanks to everyone here that gave me tips on how to fix this. This was a first for me....

Cheers !!!

Canadian Runner, I am having similar issues with my 67 Charger. You said you ran a new clsuter ground wire with disconnect to steering column bracket. Where did you attach the ground wire to the cluster? I think I have a similar ground problem. Thank you in advance.

I have a head scratcher. All lights work, headlights, flashers, turn signals, console courtesy lights, dome light, all dash lights work, but my turn signal indicators do not illuminate when they are activated, yes, the bulbs were changed. The dash cluster was refurbished with new circuit boards, and voltmeter was installed replacing ammeter. I grounded the front turn signal housings to the core support, grounded the rear taillights to the body.

I have a head scratcher. All lights work, headlights, flashers, turn signals, console courtesy lights, dome light, all dash lights work, but my turn signal indicators do not illuminate when they are activated, yes, the bulbs were changed. The dash cluster was refurbished with new circuit boards, and voltmeter was installed replacing ammeter. I grounded the front turn signal housings to the core support, grounded the rear taillights to the body.
What year, model? Turn signal indicators in the cluster, or out on the fenders?

What year, model? Turn signal indicators in the cluster, or out on the fenders?
In the cluster. I have a feeling i might have compromised the pins. 1967 plymouth belvedere 2, no fender mount indicators.

In the cluster. I have a feeling i might have compromised the pins. 1967 plymouth belvedere 2, no fender mount indicators.
That would do it.
I have those c-boards (restored originals) if you can't repair yours

Auto Transport Service
Back