• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dash issues

Car #4

Local time
3:55 AM
Reaction score
68 Charger. I removed the gauge cluster to replace the speedometer because it didn’t work. I put things back together yesterday and now I have these issues.
1- Headlights work but doors don’t open. I checked vacuum lines and they are attached.
2- four ways work but right turn signal indicator doesn’t. I wiggled and jiggled the socket in case it wasn’t getting ground but that didn’t help.
3- Turn signals don’t work. I have not put the steering column back up so could it be that something is not grounding?
4- dash lights are on all the time, even with key and lights off. The only way to get them off is to disconnect the battery.
5- four small gauges don’t work. I haven’t started the car but fuel gauge doesn’t move and I see no movement of the alternator gauge needle. Thought I would see something.

Oh, one more thing. There’s this light that I don’t know what it’s for. It’s on when the key is, even just hanging there. Seems to be grounded by the second wire.

79D25642-220F-4CB8-91E8-AAB986AEC606.jpeg

Hard to tell from photo. But, I think that is the light that plugs into cluster for your emergency brake lamp. It would go behind the red lens on left side of cluster.

Thanks but I don’t think so. I have no switch on the emergency brake pedal for that. And this light comes on with the switch.

I solved the four small gauges issue. Someone, not naming names, missed putting the plug in the back of the circuit board. I’m 20% happy. Only four more issues to go.

That light with the two black wires, one goes to ground and the other becomes a grey wire that goes into the side of the Quik Wire box. What would that be for?

C88F189C-0DA1-4A86-BFBF-E616620B67A0.jpeg

Dash light issue solved. 40% happy. Done on it for a week or so. But feel free to chime in please. I always appreciate everybody’s help. Cheers!

I had an ah ha moment and had to go back out to the shop. The turn signals now work. 60% happy. We're getting there.

You should have mentioned you do not have a factory wire harness...hard to get good advice on a non factory setup. :rolleyes:

Thanks but I don’t think so. I have no switch on the emergency brake pedal for that. And this light comes on with the switch.

Your E brake would have a switch from the factory. I still believe that two black wire lamp is for the E brake switch.

@70gtx440dana Ya I realize it would have the switch from the factory but whoever restored the car didn't put one in. I maybe should try to find one some day.

Dash light issue solved. 40% happy. Done on it for a week or so. But feel free to chime in please. I always appreciate everybody’s help. Cheers!
I just posted a similar issue with dash lights staying on with ign key removed.
What did you find out to correct your issue #4?
Thanks,
Potts

After reassembly the headlight doors don’t open when I turn the lights on. Didn’t realize the switch was on because doors were closed.

Auto Transport Service
Back