• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dashboard lights

Johnny Z

Local time
4:28 AM
Reaction score
Hi all, first post here. Looking to find a souce that rebuilds the electroluminescent transformer for a 67 charger. Also can anyone tell me if the original radio and counsel shifter display lights need to be working for the dashlights to work? I do not have the stock radio, nor a stock clock, and not sure on the counsel. Thanks for the help!

Hi, Before you assume that your power pack is not working.. The white wire coming off the power pack is the hi voltage line that powers ALL the electroluminescent ( EL) items. Gauges, shifter indicator and radio face. In a 67, the original clock would not have EL lighting, however the wire for it may be in the harness to the console. If there is a short to ground in any of the EL items, or wiring, it will cause the power pack to shut down and not produce the hi volts to make the EL work. Also, the DC power input to the power pack is fed from the variable dimmer control on the headlight switch, so that could be defective. The + 12 volts to the power pack is on the orange wire at the connector, the chassis of the pack must have a good ground connection.
If you want to test it in the car, get the white wire disconnected at the power pack connector, and turn lights on, dimmer to full bright, if power pack is good, you should hear a faint hi frequency whine from the power pack. If so, it's probably OK.
Or...remove the power pack and apply +12 VDC to the orange wire, - 12VDC to the chassis of the power pack. You should hear the whine. Using a multi meter, measure the output of the terminal of the white wire coming from the power pack and chassis of power pack. Should be somewhere about 200-250 Volts AC. If power pack works, you probably have a short in one of the EL items. For gauge and power pack issues contact Mark, https://thegaugedoc.com/
Good luck with it.. Terry

Hi all, first post here. Looking to find a souce that rebuilds the electroluminescent transformer for a 67 charger. Also can anyone tell me if the original radio and counsel shifter display lights need to be working for the dashlights to work? I do not have the stock radio, nor a stock clock, and not sure on the counsel. Thanks for the help!

Thanks for getting back to me. Looking at the power unit, there are two wires, one orange and the other is red. At the harness the red will connect with two whit wires, and he orange to an orange wire.

In 67 the gear selector was a bulb along with the clock.

In 67 the gear selector was a bulb along with the clock.
Thanks for the info, well noted. I did discover that i am not getting power to the power pack, as mentioned before from terry. I will now try and see why. Yhanks again for the info and tips.

Thanks for the info, well noted. I did discover that i am not getting power to the power pack, as mentioned before from terry. I will now try and see why. Yhanks again for the info and tips.
You can message me or find my Fb page 66-67 Charger freaks. I'm happy to help with wiring issues and I do rebuild power packs. Todd

You can message me or find my Fb page 66-67 Charger freaks. I'm happy to help with wiring issues and I do rebuild power packs. Todd
Hi Todd. Let me know how to get the power unit to you, and give me an ideaon cost

Also, i need to find some parts:
A hood pull cable, complete with dash trim and t handle, and a headlamp bypass switch. Any help on resourcing these would be appreciated. Thanks again.

Hi Todd. Let me know how to get the power unit to you, and give me an ideaon cost
Pm me and I have a couple options and I can get you my shipping address.

Auto Transport Service
Back