• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Data Loggers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Started datalogging back in 2006. Started with a basic Altronics O2 Alert with 2 O2 sensors , pan vacuum and rpm.
I went 9.20@147 when nobody was even close running those numbers with 2 Carter Afbs in a 3400 lb. car
Knocking off .3 in a weekend using this tool made me a believer.
I would never race without one again.
Since then I've upgraded to a more elaborate and sophisticated system.

Started datalogging back in 2006. Started with a basic Altronics O2 Alert with 2 O2 sensors , pan vacuum and rpm.
I went 9.20@147 when nobody was even close running those numbers with 2 Carter Afbs in a 3400 lb. car
Knocking off .3 in a weekend using this tool made me a believer.
I would never race without one again.
Since then I've upgraded to a more elaborate and sophisticated system.

80D78098-7B40-412C-AF3B-1A3F3121ACE7.jpeg

Converter slippage and poor launching could be helped dramatically when using a datalogger.
Just look at your pictures!
If you cant afford one just skip a few mortgage payments or borrow the money O

I believe they are a great tool I use them daily on big rigs. More and more people are getting use to them but they are only part of the math that goes into this. Still the biggest thing is the people and the driver.

They've been around for years.
They are getting more and more sophisticated.
Fuel pressure going down the track is essential.
I've seen guys chase their tails wondering why they are slowing down. Not knowing that at 1/2 track they had 1 psi of fuel pressure.

Info you collect really helps to short cut the problems. It's what you do with the info that makes it great.

Instead of throwing $$$ not knowing what the problem is.
Like a faulty distributor or leaky rear brakes.
A brake pressure sensor is critical to some.

Converter slippage and poor launching could be helped dramatically when using a datalogger.
Just look at your pictures!
If you cant afford one just skip a few mortgage payments or borrow the money O

1E4CBCC0-BEBC-41DA-A802-C4ABA680099D.gif

They've been around for years.
They are getting more and more sophisticated.
Fuel pressure going down the track is essential.
I've seen guys chase their tails wondering why they are slowing down. Not knowing that at 1/2 track they had 1 psi of fuel pressure.
Sure would hope someone racing at that level would be able to at least pay attention to a fuel pressure gauge! Heck, even little old me had one when I was running high 10's in the 80's. Are these data loggers hooked up to gauges? A digital gauge?

This guy really old school. Not even a timing light or a screwdriver.
And certainly no Data Logger.
Read the front fender...

157980CC-1689-4491-94A2-733B4AE0107D.jpeg

Tuned by ear.....and some sight. Plug reading 101. My old car was old school too. Even the tach was mechanical. It did have a Mopar Performance ignition system but other than that, it was pretty basic. It was also very consistent but it was the only old car I owned (68 road runner) that had electronic ignition.

For sure a Data logger would make finding issues easier and quicker. But do you have to have one? That's like saying you need a delay box to cut a light.
Doug

DVW.
I bet if you got one, you'd have that 8 second time slip that you've been dying to get.
Especially if you had 8 O2 sensors.

I feel this thread is approaching disaster.
I am truly an impartial observer.
I just want to get my HEMI car to hook and go but I am literally out of hobby money (what my wife calls it) to buy more "stuff" for the car.
I have a GoPro camera snapped to the side of my helmet and I video each run. I can see the tach, fuel pressure gauge, volt meter, oil pressure gauge and water temp gauge as I am going down the trach when I " replay" the GoPro video after each run.
The picture below is a freeze frame picture off the video of 1 of my recent runs in the Hemi Car. This frame was right when I shifted from 1st to 2nd at 6500rpm.

2-3 shift @6500.jpg

Mike sorry you feel that way.
Youd benefit huge from having one in your car. Even a modest version.
Especially running a tunnel ram intake with 2 carbs.

Mike, you keep doing what you do best you have done it for years one 1/4 mile at a time. The car and you will become one as you have done with many others in your past. As for data loggers etc some of that will come only in time. As for you go pro watch it and teach yourself what to do next. Always remember that you have plenty of real help on this forum. Dvw, malex and many more that run on what they know best and that is driving and feeling what works best. You are a trooper and many of us learn how to build and drive our cars from guys like you. You're going to be fine.

I feel this thread is approaching disaster.
I am truly an impartial observer.
I just want to get my HEMI car to hook and go but I am literally out of hobby money (what my wife calls it) to buy more "stuff" for the car.
I have a GoPro camera snapped to the side of my helmet and I video each run. I can see the tach, fuel pressure gauge, volt meter, oil pressure gauge and water temp gauge as I am going down the trach when I " replay" the GoPro video after each run.
The picture below is a freeze frame picture off the video of 1 of my recent runs in the Hemi Car. This frame was right when I shifted from 1st to 2nd at 6500rpm.

View attachment 878613

Mike,
How many passes do you have on your car? I think not too many. Do what you can to collect data the way you’re used to and make adjustments the way you’re used too. As you become more familiar with the car you’ll become more comfortable with it. You don’t need trick of the week products to get it fast, consistent and safe.
Most of all race within your means and have fun.

Mike,
How many passes do you have on your car? I think not too many. Do what you can to collect data the way you’re used to and make adjustments the way you’re used too. As you become more familiar with the car you’ll become more comfortable with it. You don’t need trick of the week products to get it fast, consistent and safe.
Most of all race within your means and have fun.
I only have 3 passes on the car.

That's a good start. Now what needs to be done to make it what you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back