• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dawn Power Dissolver, GoofOff Graffiti Remover, KS Aircraft Paint Remover for Plastic

themechanic

Oklahoma is OK
Local time
1:39 AM
Reaction score
Anyone tried Dawn Power Dissolver, GoofOff Graffiti Remover, Klean Strip Aircraft Paint Remover for Plastics to remove old paint from plastic interior panels?

Thanks FBBO

I have not, but read a month or 2 ago someone recommended easy off oven cleaner. Seems the caustic in it will take off the paint and not harm the plastic. Have not gotten around to trying it yet.

Easy Off is the best and will not harm the plastic. I'm not familiar with the others you mentioned, except for the Aircraft paint remover. This stuff is pretty potent - I would be leery trying it on plastic.

*****UPDATE*****

I went to a local car wash after work today and tried the Goof Off Graffiti Remover and the Dawn Power Dissolver. The test objects were two sets of kick panels that had been painted black. Set #1 was in worse condition. So, I shot one panel with each product; waited a few minutes and shot them with the high pressure wand. Some paint came off right away with the Goof Off but nothing happened witht the Dawn. So, set #2 (the good set) was sprayed on the back side with Goof Off; waited a few minutes and Wow! The paint peeled right off like a bad sunburn. Same thing on the front side. Took them home and washed them thoroughly with TSP (tri sodium phosphate) which Stacy David recommends using to prep plastic for paint to clean off all the old Armor All and oily residue. Now their ready for paint.

I don't know how these were prepped and painted before so I cannot account for the difference in the reaction of the GoofOff on one set over the other.

Maybe this will help some one else.

GO300.jpg

Good to know. Sounds like it works a little faster than the Easy Off.

Still lots of good uses for Dawn. Not this one.

I was watching one of the shows on the 'power block'. I think it was TRUCKS. They said to use brake fluid on your plastic pieces to remove the paint. Let it soak and it peels right off or spray it off with water. We all know what brake fluid does to our painted car surfaces. Don't use DOT 5 because that's a synthetic and formulated NOT to destroy your paint.

I was watching one of the shows on the 'power block'. I think it was TRUCKS. They said to use brake fluid on your plastic pieces to remove the paint. Let it soak and it peels right off or spray it off with water. We all know what brake fluid does to our painted car surfaces. Don't use DOT 5 because that's a synthetic and formulated NOT to destroy your paint.

Brake cleaner works, but why use something that is petroleum based that will soak into the plastic and cause adhesion problems for new paint? That was my thinking anyway.

Brake cleaner works, but why use something that is petroleum based that will soak into the plastic and cause adhesion problems for new paint? That was my thinking anyway.

I don't know about silicon DOT 5, but DOT 3 and 4 aren't petroleum based (unlike mineral oil hydraulic fluid). They're about 80% glycol ether which is alcohol based, which is why it absorbs water so readily. I've used brake fluid to remove paint on plastics and haven't had adhesion troubles later. Lots of warm soapy water and scrubbing and a plastic primer will do the job.

But wait, I just re-read your post, and you said Brake cleaner. Okay, I agree with that part, it can damage plastic. But brake fluid hasn't been a problem for me.

I don't know about silicon DOT 5, but DOT 3 and 4 aren't petroleum based (unlike mineral oil hydraulic fluid). They're about 80% glycol ether which is alcohol based, which is why it absorbs water so readily. I've used brake fluid to remove paint on plastics and haven't had adhesion troubles later. Lots of warm soapy water and scrubbing and a plastic primer will do the job.

But wait, I just re-read your post, and you said Brake cleaner. Okay, I agree with that part, it can damage plastic. But brake fluid hasn't been a problem for me.

X2

Accidently typed brake cleaner instead of fluid. You are probably right, as I have never tried brake fluid before. I asked this same question on the site a month or 2 ago when I was cleaning up my interior pieces. I cant remember for sure, but I think someone else stated they had an adhesion problem after using brake fluid. Doesn't really matter I guess, but we do know that Easy Off and Goof Off graffiti remover work.

Last edited:
Brake fluid is oil and must be cleaned thoroughly before painting. Beware, some dish washing liquids leave a residue that cause fish eyes and/or adhesion woes. Brake fluid has to soak a while. Graffiti Remover is almost instantaneous.

Auto Transport Service
Back