• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Debate: To 5.7 Hemi swap or To old school big block in my 67 Coronet HELP!!!!

Well nobody ever want to hear this, but we put a whole much of early mopars on the chassis dyno and the warmed over 440 cars usually make 270 horsepower and 400 plus torque at the wheels. A stock 5.7 usually makes 260 horsepower and 300 torque. A 2009 vvt usually makes 310 horsepower and 325 torque. That's on a mustang dyno. I do dyno days for the local modern club and classic club.

Posted via Topify on Android
415 RWHP Chassis Dyno. Mustang shop on the warmed 440. Do what you want to your car but don't tell us single digit mpg's or 270 RWHP. That's called icing the cake.

400hp, 20+ mpg, and at least double the average lifespan of the old stuff. For a cruiser/highway car........no contest. Our last 3 daily drivers[modern mopar] and my modern/EFI sportbikes, have made me a believer. I have old stuff, but spend much more time and money maintaining/operating them. They get used much less nowdays.

If a driver and not trying to impress anyone w/ the physical size of the engine, absolutely 5.7.

If going this route though, EFI and OD trans are a must, otherwise you might as well keep the 273, imo.

As for the guys in the 90's putting TPI 350s in their Camaro's, those same guys did their LS swaps years ago...

400hp, 20+ mpg, and at least double the average lifespan of the old stuff. For a cruiser/highway car........no contest. Our last 3 daily drivers[modern mopar] and my modern/EFI sportbikes, have made me a believer. I have old stuff, but spend much more time and money maintaining/operating them. They get used much less nowdays.

06 Charger Daytona 39,000 miles on clock. 09 Challenger 9,800 miles. 69 Coronet 7,500 miles a year. Little commuting. Drive em. Keeps them healthy and gives lots of thumbs up and miles of smiles. Like gas mileage, if you have to ask or care...Coronet gets used MORE nowadays.

So, uncle don, why'd ya nix the fuel injection and go with the carb?

I didn't on purpose. that is the way I purchased it. It was running in a guys 82 Dodge Ram d150 race truck. I bought it like you see it in the pic... I have done nothing to it yet.
I like fuel injection don't get me wrong but I don't like the headaches of the computer system, wiring, management that gos along with it so I was fine buying this motor running, reliable and just ready to drop in my car and go.....

Auto Transport Service
Back