• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Deciding on Leaf Springs - Could use some help

Kennyr

Local time
2:57 AM
Reaction score
Here's the back story - I installed the entire Hotchkis TVS system on my 68 Charger back in 2014. Back then it was a 383 auto, now it's a 440 4 speed. The springs have sagged terribly. The whole car has dropped about 2.5 inches over that time, and the left side sits 3/4 of an inch lower than the right in the rear. I don't drag race, but like to corner hard, so a bit softer of a spring in the back with the beefy sway bars and t-bars should be what I am after. The car originally have the 383 leaf set up with 5 on each side. There is a custom spring shop where I live that will build me a new set of factory style leafs. My thought is to get factory ride height leafs, and use the Hotchkis front hanger that is an inch lower than stock. The question is - 5 leafs or 6? It's a cruiser car that has gone through a nut and bolt resto-mod, and I am looking for a nice cruiser ride that handles better than stock in the corners. Any suggestions?

Have you checked with ESPO Springs? They have decent quality at fair pricing. They have 2 stock height options for your car. Matched 6 leafs on each side rated at 140 lbs, and the staggered "Hemi" ones rated at 130 lbs. I have a set of each on my 2 B- bodies with no complaints.

I was looking at them, The Mopar XHD's, Firm Feel, and getting them built locally (I'm in Canada, so the local option saves a ton on exchange and shipping). I've heard the Mopar Performance stuff isn't very good, Firm Feel's are rated at 180 lbs, and I think that might be too stiff. Any thoughts on lb rating for a cruiser/canyon carver?

I didn't realize Firm Feels' were that stiff. Personally, I don't see a need for anything more than the 140's. I do have Firm Feel rear sway bars on both my cars also. They made a big difference in body roll. @Kern Dog probably could give you some advice as he has done a few suspension experiments. His posts kind of talked me into the rear bars.

Last edited:
If getting new springs built, try to get the underleaf (2nd leaf) to extend back to almost the rear shackle. This helps prevent the main leaf from sagging in that area. MP S/S 3800 lb. springs (-455, -454) had the -455 built this way. The underleaf on the -454 spring stopped well short of the shackle, and always sagged, despite having 2 extra half leafs. These extra forward half leafs only controlled spring windup, and did nothing for carrying extra weight.

I would use your local shop if they truly are a custom shop and are familiar with old Mopars. Tell them exactly what ride height and spring rates you want, and let them do it. That way it takes the guesswork out of it.

I agree, KernDog has built a Gen 2 Charger for just what you're asking.

Last edited:
I would go with the local builder, they should have the original specs and can make you a set reasonably.

Auto Transport Service
Back