• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Decoding my Block and Transmission

rww124

Local time
7:11 AM
Reaction score
O.K. searched around on the net trying to find the details of my motor and trans. There is a large casting number on both sides of the block 2536430-7 were on one site it said this is a 1966 to72 RB 440 block however no mention of what the -7 stood for. On the passenger side there is a casting 5*29*68 which I believe is the date the block was cast (May 29, 1968) which would be about the right date when Mopar started to cast blocks for the 1969 model year. There is also a clock dial with just a bunch of dots around the perimeter of the circle and am not sure if there was a single hand pointing to one of the dots. Next to this clock dial were a casting of ND and an A about a 1/4 inch to the front of the ND and have no idea what this means. On top of the block by the distributor there is a stamping HP 440 and a D where I believe the D depicts a 1969 block as well. Casting numbers on the passenger side of the transmission main case is C99129H/.3* Where on yet another site said the C99129 was a 1969 A833 HEMI Chrysler 4 Speed Transmission Main Case (C 99129) PP8332649 but nothing about what the H/.3* means and the PP8332649. I also read on this site that the Federal Government mandated starting in 1968 all vehicles had to have the car's VIN stamped into a raised pad on the transmission case however my Cousin made no mention of any stamping of this number which should have A833 in front of the VIN. On the passenger side of the tailshaft was a casting of C88127and could not find any information of what that casting number represented nor the driver side having a 9x3. If any of the information I wrote is incorrect please correct me on it as well as if you are able to fill in the blanks of the numbers I could not find any information on it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

however no mention of what the -7 stood for.-Casting core revision of the mold used to cast the block.

On the passenger side there is a casting 5*29*68 which I believe is the date the block was cast (May 29, 1968) which would be about the right date when Mopar started to cast blocks for the 1969 model year. This date combined with the D on the pad indicates the 1968 model year. There could be a partial VIN stamped on the back of the block near the old sending unit.

There is also a clock dial with just a bunch of dots around the perimeter of the circle and am not sure if there was a single hand pointing to one of the dots. Indicates time of day the block was cast.

Next to this clock dial were a casting of ND and an A about a 1/4 inch to the front of the ND and have no idea what this means. Foundry markings

On top of the block by the distributor there is a stamping HP 440 and a D where I believe the D depicts a 1969 block as well. D = 1968 model year. 1969 is E

You may also find a partial VIN stamped pin the transmission IF is was for a 68 model year car.

Please turn off the BOLD function when posting and use paragraphs to help make posts easier to read.

however no mention of what the -7 stood for.-Casting core revision of the mold used to cast the block.

On the passenger side there is a casting 5*29*68 which I believe is the date the block was cast (May 29, 1968) which would be about the right date when Mopar started to cast blocks for the 1969 model year. This date combined with the D on the pad indicates the 1968 model year. There could be a partial VIN stamped on the back of the block near the old sending unit.

There is also a clock dial with just a bunch of dots around the perimeter of the circle and am not sure if there was a single hand pointing to one of the dots. Indicates time of day the block was cast.

Next to this clock dial were a casting of ND and an A about a 1/4 inch to the front of the ND and have no idea what this means. Foundry markings

On top of the block by the distributor there is a stamping HP 440 and a D where I believe the D depicts a 1969 block as well. D = 1968 model year. 1969 is E

You may also find a partial VIN stamped pin the transmission IF is was for a 68 model year car.

Please turn off the BOLD function when posting and use paragraphs to help make posts easier to read.
Thank you for clearing up any incorrect information and filling in the blanks of what I could not find. Didn't car manufacturers start casting the blocks for next years model about 6 months before production. I had everything in a finer print however when I copy and pasted part of the information everything went to Bold print. Everything was copy and pasted so there were no paragraphs however guess I could have tried to break things down a bit.

Thank you for clearing up any incorrect information and filling in the blanks of what I could not find. Didn't car manufacturers start casting the blocks for next years model about 6 months before production. I had everything in a finer print however when I copy and pasted part of the information everything went to Bold print. Everything was copy and pasted so there were no paragraphs however guess I could have tried to break things down a bit.
Did this Transmission come from a 1969 Hemi car. A833 with course spline input shaft?

P8332649
P833 = New Process Gear Division
2649 from 10,000 day calendrer
Trans built 28 Oct 1968 for the '69 model year

It could have come behind a Hemi or 440 car. There should be a VIN stamped on the pad.
Wouldn't the C99129 casting number verify if it was or wasn't? Next time my Cousin is under the car I will ask him if there is a VIN stamped into the Trans. case. Whether or not the Trans. came from behind a Hemi or a 440 I just want to verify that the Trans. has the course (think it's 13 spline) input shaft and the stronger of the two A833 4 speeds Mopar put in their cars.

P8332649
So my Trans. is the heavier duty/stronger 13 spline input shaft A833 Mopar put behind their higher horsepower cars?

P8332649
Since the car is not numbers matching I just wanted to verify that the Trans. was period correct (what would the definition of period correct be) and that it is the heavier duty 13 spline input shaft that Mopar put behind their higher horsepower cars. 440,440 six pack/six barrel and 426 Hemi.

P8332649
Heavier duty course 13 spline input shaft used on the 440, 440 six pack/six barrel and 426 Hemi or the finer spline used of their 383 C.I. and smaller engines.

The best way to tell if you have the HD 18 spline trans, is to pull it out and count. The other transmissions have 23 splines.

Auto Transport Service
Back