• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Deleting ballast?

///Matt

Local time
1:57 AM
Reaction score
Hey all,

440, has a MP electronic distributor, HiRev7500 ecu, and MSD blaster 2 coil.

Am I good to bypass the ballast resistor? If not, what needs changing before I can, and to what?

I think I would just leave the Ballast in place. They're cheap enough to keep an extra or two in the glove box, looks factory, you don't have to do any re-wiring and it's not hurting anything.

I think with a multi spark ignition such as MSD, you definitely can remove the Ballast and you'll be doing a bunch of wiring anyway with that system. But with your system which is similar to mine (I have the orange box with a Blaster II), I'd keep the Ballast in place. BTW, I don't think think the Blaster II made any difference at all over my stock coil, at least with mine. It's pretty and red though!

Hey all,

440, has a MP electronic distributor, HiRev7500 ecu, and MSD blaster 2 coil.

Am I good to bypass the ballast resistor? If not, what needs changing before I can, and to what?
Bypass it

You can also solder a wire across the back of the resistor to the pins if you want to keep it looking stock.

I did it but changed the coil from 1.5 ohms to a 3.0 ohm coil. Mopar electronic with orange box. Been about 5 years now with no problems.

Auto Transport Service
Back