• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Desperately need help with 340 issue

Problem solved!! It was off 180 like you suspected. When I installed manifold I used new o-ring supplied by Edelbrock on my distributor. It was thicker than original and apparently didn't sit distributor down all the way. So it started fine at first but when I loosened to set timing, it must have not been fully in the gear slot and jumped to off 180. It also means my neighbor, who had his finger in spark plug hole, mistook "pressure" from exhaust as compustion pressure. Damn. But I flagged down my other neighbor who races and we put one of his Holleys on it and it backfired. He said it was definitely off 180. From there, we figured it out. Put old distributor o-ring back on and turned over and started with no backfire. He's a Chevy guy but he's cool. :) I'm gonna buy him a Chevy T-shirt! Thanks everyone for help.

Last edited:
When you check using your finger it should blow your finger off the hole.
I had an issue where an axle wouldn't go in all the way.
Panic mode . Put my problem on site problem found and cures suggested.

Last edited:
Glad to see you found the problem. A fresh set of plugs never hurts after having some issues with fuel fouling because of one reason or another. Have seen where the plug will fire but not put out 100 % in power. Good luck.

Problem solved!! It was off 180 like you suspected. When I installed manifold I used new o-ring supplied by Edelbrock on my distributor. It was thicker than original and apparently didn't sit distributor down all the way. So it started fine at first but when I loosened to set timing, it must have not been fully in the gear slot and jumped to off 180. It also means my neighbor, who had his finger in spark plug hole, mistook "pressure" from exhaust as compustion pressure. Damn. But I flagged down my other neighbor who races and we put one of his Holleys on it and it backfired. He said it was definitely off 180. From there, we figured it out. Put old distributor o-ring back on and turned over and started with no backfire. He's a Chevy guy but he's cool. :) I'm gonna buy him a Chevy T-shirt! Thanks everyone for help.
Hey there, glad you got the problem fixed. This forum is great but I would also suggest forabodies.com for 340 specific issues. I typically go there as there are way more owners of 340s there than on here. Some things are generic and apply to all engines, some don't.

Everything else, I stick to here.

As for your carb issue, most Edelbrock's flood more than Texas! Mine floods all the time. The only fix I know that works is when it floods, hold the gas pedal down all the way and start the engine with the pedal down. After a few cranks it will start. I've adjusted those damn floats more times than I can count, and the carb will be fine for a few days and then flood again. Just a fact of life with Edelbrocks.

As for your carb issue, most Edelbrock's flood more than Texas! Mine floods all the time. The only fix I know that works is when it floods, hold the gas pedal down all the way and start the engine with the pedal down. After a few cranks it will start. I've adjusted those damn floats more times than I can count, and the carb will be fine for a few days and then flood again. Just a fact of life with Edelbrocks.

And, once again, NO! Floats do not have to be adjusted numerous times, just ONCE, correctly. Edelbrock carburetors are no more susceptible to flooding than any other brand. There are many reasons why a carburetor might 'flood', but brand has nothing to do with it...

DSCN1765.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back