• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Determining cam size

65_Satellite

Local time
6:07 AM
Reaction score
Hey all. My 440 has been built by a previous person who is no longer around. I have no docs on it other than what I’m “told” about it. Most of the info seems to check out. How do I find out the cam that’s in it? It sounds like a solid cam cause it’s got the “sewing machine” sound. I want to check the valve lash but need to know the cam specs in order to adjust them I believe. I’m also looking for the cam specs to find out if my 3.55’s are ok or if I should put my 4.10’s back in.

It’s a 69 block that’s bored .030 over. Balanced crank, ported heads. Supposedly has a Mopar .528 lift cam (it’s def a purple shaft cause I can see it when I pull the distributor). It’s running a Torker 440 single place intake with a 750 Holley. A833 4spd with 3.55 surgrip. At 900rpm I have approx 9 inches of vacuum. I have an MSD ignition box that the rev limiter was set at 6800 (I’ve dropped it down to 5800 cause I don’t want to over rev the motor without knowing what I have)

Last edited:
It sounds like a solid cam cause it’s got the “sewing machine” sound.
I would not assume that it is, you might be right but I would get some visual verification.
That it's ticking could be bad hydraulic lifters also, you never know. (if there is lash on all valves it's probably solid though)
Pulling the valley pan you can check lifters, hydr./solid and flat tappet/roller and see if the cam has any other identification marks or so.
There was another topic asking about cam part numbers from aftermarket equipment, which from what I know are commonly found on the mounting flange for the cam chain gear but I don't know if MP did this as well.

It’s a 69 block that’s bored .030 over. Balanced crank, ported heads. Supposedly has a Mopar .528 lift cam At 900rpm I have approx 9 inches of vacuum.
I had that cam in my 440/493. I had a LOT more idle vacuum than that...something like 14 or 15. The next size up on the MP solids was a '557.
Does yours have a rough idle? Mine was pretty smooth but had a slight lope.

Here is a short video of the car idling:

Pull a valve cover, if the valve train is adjustable, and has lash, you have a purple shaft solid. It's likely the .528, the smallest solid available. Lash is supposed to be .028 int/.032 exhaust. (I would not run them that loose, but that's me)
If it doesnt have adjustable rockers, or pushrods, it's a noisy hydraulic (not real likely, the hydraulic purples had pretty quiet profiles).
Kern is more familiar with that cam, I haven't had one. I have had the .590, and the .557 is in my engine now.
3.55s should be fine with that cam.

What kind of driving are you doing? What diameter rear tires do you have? This will dictate rear end gears more than the cam.

measure the lift at the valve spring retainer with a dial indicator.

I had that cam in my 440/493. I had a LOT more idle vacuum than that...something like 14 or 15. The next size up on the MP solids was a '557.
Does yours have a rough idle? Mine was pretty smooth but had a slight lope.

Here is a short video of the car idling:

It has a pretty lumpy idle. Here’s a short video.

Basically a cruiser with the occasional letting her breathe. I have 275/60-15 in the rear

Auto Transport Service
Back