• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Diagnosing Exhaust Sound

Follow the intake runners. One barrel feeds 4 runners,etc. 4 rich looking plugs & 4 lean.

Lets say it is idling off one side of the carb, what would I look for? I rebuilt the carb with the 1477 kit and replaced everything the kit had to offer. Simple and straight forward. I may be a dick at times, but I am mechanically inclined :)
Do your idle mixture screws effect the way the engine runs? The engine should run rough and stumble as you screw the screws slowly in. (lean) Both should effect the idle quality the same.

Do your idle mixture screws effect the way the engine runs? The engine should run rough and stumble as you screw the screws slowly in. (lean) Both should effect the idle quality the same.
They do have an effect on the idle, but not equally now that you mention it. I forget left or right, but one has a bigger effect than the other.

It almost sounds like it's idling off one side of the carb. I wish I was closer, I have a tach/dwell meter that can cancel cylinders one at a time or odd or even. Very handy to diagnose this sort of a problem.
This is what I found on the tranny. I pulled the inspection plate and found 1 TC bolt loose. The other 3 are nice and tight. I go to tighten the 1 screw and it bottoms out but won't snug down. Keeps spinning. I removed it and it looks as though they used HeliCoil or a very thin wire wrapped around the threads. Are there over sized TC bolts for this scenario? Would 1 bolt be enough to cause a vibration?

Probably not. There is something else here we don't know I have a feeling. I think you should find someone local to you that can help you figure out what the problem is. It doesn't look like we are any further than we were on the second post.

Probably not. There is something else here we don't know I have a feeling. I think you should find someone local to you that can help you figure out what the problem is. It doesn't look like we are any further than we were on the second post.
Nah, that's OK. I'll keep swinging away and I will figure it out. Stay tuned.

Auto Transport Service
Back