• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Did BFG ?

1967coronet

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:45 PM
Reaction score
Ever get their white letter tires to stay white or are the new ones still turning brown ?

I know I have to hit mine with a sheetrock sanding block to whiten them up again about twice a year. Don't know if they still are making them that way.

They've been turning Brown since the '70's. Based on that I say that they have no intention of ever fixing the issue...

My next set I get won't be BFG's because of that issue. The new pair I bought don't seem as bad as the 5 year old ones but they still turn brown.

Mine, I bought new in 2002. They have not turned brown. I'm still on the fence as to whether or not to replace the tires due to their age. They still look like new and only have about 5K miles on them.
DSC00819.JPG

BFG = basically frigggen garbage. Don’t buy that stuff, they are not performance tires.

@Big Bad Dad Replace them ASAP. When they blow and take off a fender you will know.

My next set I get won't be BFG's because of that issue. The new pair I bought don't seem as bad as the 5 year old ones but they still turn brown.
I have found the BFG tyres to be a bit skittery....I'm changing up to Cooper Tyres or Hankook's....depending on availability.

Needless to say, I will have a massive cook-up before the swap. :steering:

:xscuseless:

I have never had an issue with white letters turning brown simply because I don't put any tire dressing on them. I spray them with simple green then hit the white letters with a SOS pad, then a stiff nylon brush over the whole tire face and rinse...tires are clean and shine without any chemicals added.

As for BFG's I've never liked the look of them really, but I do have a set on my wagon only because I needed tires and a friend was changing his and we bartered for them. I just put Cooper Cobra Radial GT's on the Coronet and absolutely love the look and ride.

Mine, I bought new in 2002. They have not turned brown. I'm still on the fence as to whether or not to replace the tires due to their age. They still look like new and only have about 5K miles on them.
View attachment 1466268

Tires in general should only be used for about 7 years for cars, maybe 10 on the heavier truck tires....so I would say it is time for a new set. My coronet still had the Goodyear Eagle ST's I put on in 1997...they looked great with no cracking or wear but I couldn't justify the risk of having one of the tires fail while out driving, the repairs would be a heck of a lot more than the cost of a set of tires. ;)

Ever get their white letter tires to stay white or are the new ones still turning brown ?

Do yourself a favor and switch to Cooper Cobras. Basically the same tire construction with a better looking tread pattern.

Tires in general should only be used for about 7 years for cars, maybe 10 on the heavier truck tires....so I would say it is time for a new set. My coronet still had the Goodyear Eagle ST's I put on in 1997...they looked great with no cracking or wear but I couldn't justify the risk of having one of the tires fail while out driving, the repairs would be a heck of a lot more than the cost of a set of tires. ;)
I rally liked the old Eagle ST’s.

Paint the letters with white POR-15
:lol:

I switched from BFG's to Cooper Cobras on all my cars. I think the Coopers are a better tire.

I’ve got cooper cobra and mastercraft avenger GT. Coopers get good traction on dry pavement. Both are better than BFG To me.

I have some Milestar street steel than I haven’t mounted yet.

I can easily spin the P275 Cobra's on the back of the '64. It actually squawks both of them just dropping it into reverse. Guess I should go down the road and light them up and then see how they do on the 2nd hit. Something for tomorrow.. LOL

Thanks for all the input guys, sounds like cooper has most all the votes.
My BFGs are 9 yrs now so it's time to replace them. I will try a set of coopers this time. I will make the switch to 15s this time also. Just need 2 more steel wheels.
Thanks again.

BFGs are easy to keep clean and bright white. AP cleaner and a piece of 400-grit or SOS as mentioned already. Hit mine in the spring and they’re good for the summer. Do the same thing to Coopers.

I can easily spin the P275 Cobra's on the back of the '64. It actually squawks both of them just dropping it into reverse. Guess I should go down the road and light them up and then see how they do on the 2nd hit. Something for tomorrow.. LOL
Been a while since I looked, but I recall that the tread wear rating of the Cooper and BFG suggest that the BFG is a softer tire.

I hear all the talk, but has anyone had personal experience with a 10 year old tire with 20,000 miles, that is kept inside and looks perfectly fine just come apart going down the road?

BFGs are easy to keep clean and bright white. AP cleaner and a piece of 400-grit or SOS as mentioned already. Hit mine in the spring and they’re good for the summer. Do the same thing to Coopers.
You obviously don't have BFG's with issues. Those tires that do have issues will turn brown in a month and no cleaner or procedure on the planet will fix that. I have even used acetone and a fine bristled brass brush and they still brown quickly.

I contacted BFG and they will warranty them for this issue. Find a dealer that will work with you. Good luck unless you bought the tires from them. And, they are pro-rated so any tire with some age on it whether it looks new or not, will cost you near new price any way.

These white letters aren't dirty, the white is discolored, chemically!

BFG white letters2.jpg

BFG white letters.jpg

Mine looked the same way. Try 400 grit sand paper with some water and soap. What can it hurt.

Auto Transport Service
Back