• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Did BFG ?

Mine looked the same way. Try 400 grit sand paper with some water and soap. What can it hurt.
I put a Scotchbrite on a die grinder. It worked until they discolored again.

I need to do mine every year for sure. I didn’t make it stop at all.

I use simple green and a brass wire brush. Works good.

Been a while since I looked, but I recall that the tread wear rating of the Cooper and BFG suggest that the BFG is a softer tire.

I hear all the talk, but has anyone had personal experience with a 10 year old tire with 20,000 miles, that is kept inside and looks perfectly fine just come apart going down the road?
I know of two locals that a BFG tire came apart. Indoor show type cars. Don’t know age or treadwear. One car took off the whole side, another just damaged the fender.

I know of two locals that a BFG tire came apart. Indoor show type cars. Don’t know age or treadwear. One car took off the whole side, another just damaged the fender.
I think Jerry Hall had 1 or 2 do that as well. Blew while sitting in his garage.

Another option would be to smoke the rears off every year and replace them before they get brown.
Can't help you with the fronts.

BFG tire failure

IMG_2710.jpg

I'm in need of new tires and will probably go with Cooper. Some have made the switch that I know to Cooper. But the ones that still have BF's on their car, used this stuff to help keep them white. They swear by this. Just Google(?) the name and can be ordered

FB_IMG_1630411077101.jpg

Been a while since I looked, but I recall that the tread wear rating of the Cooper and BFG suggest that the BFG is a softer tire.

I hear all the talk, but has anyone had personal experience with a 10 year old tire with 20,000 miles, that is kept inside and looks perfectly fine just come apart going down the road?
I still have a set of 'belted T/A' bias ply tires I bought in 1984 after I bought my 67 R/T. Always garaged, I imagine those tires saw less than 100 total days of sunlight in 39 years. They have way less than 2k miles. They're not cracked or hard, the car has been idle since '97 and I'm getting it ready for occasional use (starting, up & down the driveway) but I doubt I'll keep them mounted. Oh yeah, the lettering is a little 'tan-ish'...

This car

IMG_5289.jpg

Had a set of T/A radials on it with less than 500 miles on them, but they were eight years old & flat spotted... They would spin if I looked at the throttle pedal wrong... I had a set of M/T Sportsman S/T radials installed... They aren't sticky like DOT slicks but they sure tamed the wheel spin, Car has a fairly strong Eddy headed 340, a 518 O/D & 4:30 gears... with the M/T's if I nail it from a dead stop it'll lightly haze the tires for about 15 feet then it's just accelerating... If I give it a little brake & get the tires loose forgetaboutit...

And yes they have white letters.. Just never been my thing...

2_x_255_60_15_mickey_thompson_sportsman_st_tyres_20574439.jpg

And yes they have white letters.. Just never been my thing...
Ok I have to say this... Heard 2 guys talking at a car show. One said to the other."Nice car, too bad it got bird sh!t on the tires."

I recently took a 20 year old set of BFGs off my GTX. White letters were still good. Tires had 1000 miles, car was kept in climate controlled storage. Against my better judgment, I drove 50 miles on them to get home. Not pushing my luck any further. Dealt with lots of blown tires tearing up fenders in my tank truck days. Not worth it with an old Mopar.

As a slight aside, it seems any story I hear about older tires failing, they're more often than not, BFG's.

Been running BFG's for 40 (thought it was 50) years along with Michelin, General, Yokohama, and a few others sprinkled in. So far the date code 4405 BFG All Terrain TA's that are on my diesel are still doing well but I don't drive all that fast with them anymore. Had a set of BFG's on a 2000 Durango and the letters stayed fairly white but they did get a good scrubbing with Ajax and a medium brush at each washing. One of them shredded when it was only about 3 years old but it only lost small bit and pieces. It did lose air but don't know if something punctured it or not but it did no damage to the car.

The Michelins on my Dakotas were freebies and one set is older than the others and the newer ones are brown as can be while the older ones are are nice and white. The newer ones are on my 96 Dakota and are coded 2218 and have had them since they were nearly new. Go figure. Had a set of freebie Michelins on my flat bed trailer years ago that were probably 6 when I got them and they worked well until they were 20 and then one gave up the ghost taking out the rusty fender. Never had any problems with the US made Yoko's that are coded 3611 but I took the pair off the rear of my beater Dakota because I got tired of the no pep 29.5" tall girls and stuck on a pair of 25.5" petite girls. Talk about making a difference in off the line pep that lame V6 has now but the truck looks dumb with the 235/75's on the front. Oh well, don't care anymore :D.

Worst tire brand I've ever used were Generals. Had 3 of them bastids shed the tread....two completely shed and I caught one that was about to with the two that did completely shed doing damage to a 73 Challenger and one doing damage to the 95 Dakota. By then I was pissed and filed a claim with General who did pay for the damage on the 95.

Been running BFG's for 40 (thought it was 50) years along with Michelin, General, Yokohama, and a few others sprinkled in. So far the date code 4405 BFG All Terrain TA's that are on my diesel are still doing well but I don't drive all that fast with them anymore. Had a set of BFG's on a 2000 Durango and the letters stayed fairly white but they did get a good scrubbing with Ajax and a medium brush at each washing. One of them shredded when it was only about 3 years old but it only lost small bit and pieces. It did lose air but don't know if something punctured it or not but it did no damage to the car.

The Michelins on my Dakotas were freebies and one set is older than the others and the newer ones are brown as can be while the older ones are are nice and white. The newer ones are on my 96 Dakota and are coded 2218 and have had them since they were nearly new. Go figure. Had a set of freebie Michelins on my flat bed trailer years ago that were probably 6 when I got them and they worked well until they were 20 and then one gave up the ghost taking out the rusty fender. Never had any problems with the US made Yoko's that are coded 3611 but I took the pair off the rear of my beater Dakota because I got tired of the no pep 29.5" tall girls and stuck on a pair of 25.5" petite girls. Talk about making a difference in off the line pep that lame V6 has now but the truck looks dumb with the 235/75's on the front. Oh well, don't care anymore :D.

Worst tire brand I've ever used were Generals. Had 3 of them bastids shed the tread....two completely shed and I caught one that was about to with the two that did completely shed doing damage to a 73 Challenger and one doing damage to the 95 Dakota. By then I was pissed and filed a claim with General who did pay for the damage on the 95.
I dealt with tires from all major manufacturers in the trucking business. There was a definite connection to price and service, in terms of durability, reliability, and adverse weather performance. In later years I ran Generals on my own truck because they were the cheapest. I never re-capped them. I hauled out of a steel mill, and the chance of ruining a tire with a metal shaving were pretty good. The second time it happened I started running cheap instead of good. But the Generals were really inconsistent in their durability - many would develop odd wear spots as a result of poor quality control in the tread compound.

Auto Transport Service
Back