• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Did your feet get wider as you got older?

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:47 PM
Reaction score
I'm wondering if that is happening to me.
I've dealt with foot pain a bit lately and am wondering if I need wider shoes. In the age of self service, I haven't had my feet measured at a shoe store in a LONG time. For several years, I've just bought shoes online.
I wear flip flops and my feet instantly feel better. Not perfect but not like with the shoes on.
I've worn New Balance shoes for about 20 years now...

Amador 3 (2).JPG
*** 7 (2).JPG

My Doctor only advised wearing shoes with a wide base. Maybe I'll look into one of those specialty shoe stores.
Who else has this problem?

I suspect the quality of the shoe has changed in the last 20 years.
Have you ever tried a set of insoles?
Although any type of insert is going to inherently make the shoe feel narrower, but it might take pressure off of one area and transfer it to another.

Last edited:
The last 5 years , 60 - 65 I have started to have some right foot problems.
I do see a podiatrist now for arthritis in my large toe joint.
I have now went to a EE width shoe with good arch support.
I used to think who needs a foot dr. Lol.
Well turned out I did.

I wish… I have narrow feet. I wish they’d get wider!
Unfortunately I was badly injured in an accident 30 years ago that included a shattered right ankle and nerve damage that affects my lower body. A few years ago after having increasing pain in my feet, I went to a podiatrist who had custom orthotics inserts made to put in my shoes. Plaster casts of my feet were made to mold my inserts.
I wonder if I could still walk very far without them now.

My Doc didn't seem all that concerned. Maybe because I am healthy otherwise, she may have thought that this was just some minor thing that would go away on it's own. Maybe it will but I definitely feel better when walking on carpet compared to the wood floor. Cushy flip-flops feel better than shoes.
My arches are fine, the heels are fine. It is the front pads that hurt. I swear...I'm not wearing high heels!
last week I went to a rodeo and wore my cowboy boots....that did hurt. I've been angling my right foot when walking barefoot on the wood floor so when I wore the boots with the 1 1/4" heels built in, it seemed to place more weight on the pads. Ouch.

I will spare you all from any pictures of my feet.

Last edited:
I've dealt with foot pain a bit lately and am wondering if I need wider shoes. In the age of self service, I haven't had my feet measured at a shoe store in a LONG time. For several years, I've just bought shoes online.
I wear flip flops and my feet instantly feel better. Not perfect but not like with the shoes on.

View attachment 1460245View attachment 1460246

My Doctor only advised wearing shoes with a wide base. Maybe I'll look into one of those specialty shoe stores.
Greg, we both wear the same type of shoe, except I go with the black version.....stealth mode on job sites.

Try the 4E in your foot size.....I found the 2E was starting to pinch my feet a bit. Yes, your feet do widen with age..... a 4E will help solve your problem.

:welcome:

20230505_165801.jpg

Well you came to the right place for medical advice. Doctors and podiatrists are basically useless when there are a bunch of all-knowing Mopar guys around.

Hope you sort the issue out soon. If not, get back to us. I have a little trick that might help that involves wheel bearing grease and tepid 10W40 motor oil.

Medical advice?
I asked if others had the same issue. Looks like some have.
Regarding Doctors and Podiatrists, if you had read the opening comments, you would have seen where I mentioned that I have spoken to a Doctor and that the advice was worthless.

Hey...that is a 10 1/2 D, sir.....

1 huh 3.jpg

I normally have two pairs of those sneakers running at a similar time, and get more than a year out of a pair.

Quite a few years ago I had an apprentice with size 15 feet.....he had so much trouble finding shoes. I was glad to be a regular sizing at 13. :rolleyes:

View attachment 1460245View attachment 1460246

This sounds like a question that SteveSS would start.

go to a shoe store and get feet measured? Haven’t seen that in a very long time. Around here, you’re lucky to even find a sales person. I seem to have progressed to a size 11 now after wearing a 10 1/2 most of my life. Not any wider.
It’s probably those cushy flip-flops that are causing the wide foot syndrome. Nice legs by the way.

I think your feet, like your ears, keep growing. I just came to the realization that size 12 isn’t working for me anymore. When I was a young guy, I wore 11 1/2. For a long time now, size 12. But after a series of blindly bought size 12s that don’t fit, I’m going with 13.

I think what you’re experiencing is common.

Not wide but tall.

Seems no mfg accounts for that.

I wore 12 from age 12 until about 25, then I needed 12 1/2. NOT easy to find.

About age 35, I needed 13 and that's where I'm at still.

I'd love to wear "Vans" but I can't because they are ALL too short vertically for my tall feet.

Shoe shopping for me is somewhat aggravating and depressing.

Between the limited size selection and the limited, often kooky style selection I'm lucky to find one or two pair a year.

I had been buying New Balance but was lucky to get six months out of them. That sucks when they are $70.

Fortunately the last pair of Sketchers I bought have lasted almost a year and don't show any signs of impending failure.

Usually the heel/Achilles area wears through and then the insole tears up.

I can't stand to have aftermarket innersoles in shoes. Drives me crazy (er).
I'll pull the factory insoles out completely and wear them with nothing before I do that, and I have.
My current work shoes have no insoles.

Auto Transport Service
Back