• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

dielectric grease

paul1969cars

Local time
10:45 AM
Reaction score
hi

Im putting my instrument cluster back in car. should i use dielectric grease on all the electrical connections? or leave them without
Dont know what is best route

Dielectric grease is typically used in places where there may be moisture, so it would not typically be used under the dash. Having said that, dielectric grease protects terminals from corrosion, so it absolutely would not hurt to add it there. The only downside is it might be messy if you have to mess with terminals once it is installed.

Dielectric grease is typically used in places where there may be moisture, so it would not typically be used under the dash. Having said that, dielectric grease protects terminals from corrosion, so it absolutely would not hurt to add it there. The only downside is it might be messy if you have to mess with terminals once it is installed.
In humid areas it's good. I'll be surprised if my dash still works after sitting since 98. It's been in the shop all that time but during the summer, the late evening hours gets pretty humid here and that's when I spent much of my time in the shop when the temps were down from the heat of the day.

I'm pretty picky when it comes to electrical, so I prefer 'kopr-shield' or an equivalent as it enhances conductivity as well as protects. Dielectric grease is an insulator and really should only be used after the connection is made. :poke::poke:

Yeah, as posted I'm also fan of di-elect lube, an acquired habit over the years. For instrument clusters no need to over apply; a Q-tip with thin coating is all ya need. I use heavier applications on the engine bay stuff and exterior wiring connections. On a related note, another thing I've paid more attention to is using anti-seize on bolts/screws...not on the lugs though...

I'm pretty picky when it comes to electrical, so I prefer 'kopr-shield' or an equivalent as it enhances conductivity as well as protects. Dielectric grease is an insulator and really should only be used after the connection is made. :poke::poke:
I think a product like kopr-shield has its place, but personally I'd be leery of putting that too liberally on regular connections.

Yes, dielectric grease is an insulator. But it in no way inhibits the electrical connection - it just wipes away when the connector is assembled. An electrical connection is a mechanical connection and if somehow dielectric grease inhibited the connection, then the connector itself is bad and would probably arc or create intermittent connection issues.

So I respectfully disagree that dielectric grease should only be used after the connection is made.

I just reinstalled the instrument cluster in my wife's Road Runner, and I used it on the connections. Old habit I've had since I worked at the dealership.

I just reinstalled the instrument cluster in my wife's Road Runner, and I used it on the connections. Old habit I've had since I worked at the dealership.
hi do you use it in the actual connection or do you connect dry and then apply to outer connection. I got a few different replies

Thanks

I think a product like kopr-shield has its place, but personally I'd be leery of putting that too liberally on regular connections.

Yes, dielectric grease is an insulator. But it in no way inhibits the electrical connection - it just wipes away when the connector is assembled. An electrical connection is a mechanical connection and if somehow dielectric grease inhibited the connection, then the connector itself is bad and would probably arc or create intermittent connection issues.

So I respectfully disagree that dielectric grease should only be used after the connection is made.
thanks

By the way: Dielectric grease is an insulator, which many people seem to think is a bad thing. It's not - it's a good thing. Why?

Well, let's think about a random electrical connector that has two connectors built in to it. When you put dielectric grease into the connectors and connect them, it will protect the connectors from corrosion and keep them isolated. If dielectric grease conducted electricity, then a small amount of it that got between the connectors would create a connection between the two wires that aren't supposed to be connected. Now instead you have created an issue where none should have existed. Similarly, (e.g. like on one of our old tachometers), there are spade connectors that have a very thin insulator between the connector and the body of the tack. Again, if conducting grease accidentally got between those you would have a short or partial short. With dielectric grease as designed, you can smear that stuff on without fear.

Last edited:
I'm in the minority here. A good soaking of DeOxIt and no grease.

Looking at light sockets after they’ve been in for years, corrosion can eventually ruin the socket or encounter breaking the bulb trying to remove it, as I’ve run into without having been greased. Some prefer a heavier coating. Way I’ve done it is to dab a coating on the male and tuck some into the female connections. Some of that is pushed out when making the connection creating a seal over the connection.
I don’t wipe off, too much anyway, if it’s overly conspicuous in the engine bay, light sweep with a q-tip.

I get that most folks like dielectric grease...it's easy to find hanging at the parts counter, cheap, and there really isn't much downside to it. For me, I will continue to use (properly!) the products I've come to prefer that are accepted by industry standards and the NEC. I do know when and where, as well as when and where NOT to use a certain product, but like I said I'm just picky when it comes to electrical.
I like the grease on my plug boots, around the light sockets and other places that have a high risk of water getting in. Under the dash IMO is not one of those places..

I also like NoOx or what some people call light bulb grease. It’s advertised as conductive. Some folks have feared the Dielectric grease will interfere with continuity of electrical contacts as it’s often advertised as non-conductive. Honestly, I can’t tell the difference. I once applies a string of NoOx on a piece of wood, of Dielectric Grease and of common Silicon grease for swimming pool equipment and seals. Then I tested conductivity with a multimeter with a probe at each end of each string. All 3 were conductive and sounded the buzzer on my meter. Not sure that’s a valid test for anything but I don’t worry much about it now - I just apply whatever’s handy when assembling electrical components.

THIS

Auto Transport Service
Back