• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

difference between '66-'67 and later brake drums??

496coronet

Local time
5:14 AM
Reaction score
Hi All,
I've got a 1967 R/T with 11" rear brake drums that are "finned". BUT, I had one back in the day and I know the rear drums, again 11", were plain (smooth). Could anyone tell me which drum is correct? OR, could they both be correct?
Thank you for reading this post. ANY response is appreciated! Kevin

I don't think I saw any finned brake drums before 69. I could be wrong, but 66-67 were smooth.

Never finned in 67. But 69 finned drums will go right on the car.

Bought a Dana 60 from a 67 GTX 11"X 3" finned drums, but can't say for sure they were original.

Hi All,
I've got a 1967 R/T with 11" rear brake drums that are "finned". BUT, I had one back in the day and I know the rear drums, again 11", were plain (smooth). Could anyone tell me which drum is correct? OR, could they both be correct?
Thank you for reading this post. ANY response is appreciated! Kevin
My original 67 R/T with power brakes has smooth 11" drums all around. Each drum also has a long thin spring wrapping the drum. I'm currently refreshing the entire system since the car was last streeted in 1997. It has been in 'storage' since then.

Good to know! I forgot about the springs around the drums. I'll post a wanted ad in FBBO looking for a set of rear drums. Mine are clearly from a '68 or '69 and I'm trying to get 'er back to day one. Thanks for your post, Kevin

I know this is an old post but does anyone know if the smooth rear drums 11 x 2 1/2 came with dampener springs like the front. I have a set of original smooth drums and it looks like they have the groove for springs

Yes, they came with the springs.

Thanks for your responses to my post. I'm still looking to find a pair of '66-'67 rear drums if anyone has!! Happy new year, Kevin

Are you looking for 11"x 2.5" I have one. I'd have compare it to the original off my car and send you pictures. No 10" drums.Not sure about USPS flat rate to Canada ?

Are you looking for 11"x 2.5" I have one. I'd have compare it to the original off my car and send you pictures. No 10" drums.Not sure about USPS flat rate to Canada ?
Hi there, thank you for responding. Yes, 11" x 2.5 is the correct size. Is there a decent amount of material left for machining if required? Pictures would be great! Shipping will be to Sweet Grass MT 59484.

I have a 12" caliper to measure will do pictures. Will try to get it done 12/27. $30 plus shipping it good, should be. There is no spring.

Hi Fran,
Sounds good! No big rush, I look forward to getting the pictures. Please send pics to me by PM. Thanks again, Kevin

Auto Transport Service
Back